Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ Clutch and Flywheel into ER27?

Gravityman

Whats up subaru freaks!

Ok so, a question for the smart guys.

I know the bolt design on the EJ and EA/ER's are different. With redrilling the bolt holes in an EJ Flywheel, will an EJ Fly and clutch fit in an ER27?

What are the differences between the outer diameter of the Flywheels and number of teeth?

Also, if the diameters are the same but there are a diffrent amount of teeth could you just swap the starter or the starter gear from the starter itself to make it work?

BASIS: The power between the EJ and ER are close to the same at stock but I would imagine due to the aftermarket built for the EJ the transmission and clutch were engineered to hold a higher TQ and HP number. I know they make lightened flywheels and staged clutches for the EJ but only Staged clutches for the ER(minimally). What I want to do is drop in (with obvious modifications) an EJ lightened flywheel and stage 2 or 3 clutch into my ER27 full time 4WD trans.

Something like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/91-94-SUBARU-LEGACY-2-2-TURBO-STAGE-3-CLUTCH-FLYWHEEL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ33730QQihZ009QQitemZ190189788080QQtcZphoto

bb51_1_sbl.JPG

Plausable?

look for some of Phizinza's old posts. before he decided to build a hybrid EJ trans, he was looking at modifying the starter to work with the EJ flywheel.

and it's not just the starter gear. IIRC they use the same gear, but the whole starter unit is physically in a different place.

I've never had an EJ flywheel anywhere near anything EA. my EJ donor car was an auto......

BUT, I know the tranny bellhousing is a bit smaller on the EAs. I'd be worried about it fitting in there at all.

Yep I have had the same problem, EA clutch and an EJ Torque converters only. IIRC the EA starter is up top and the EJ is on the bottom of the bell.

Does anyone have an EA and EJ flywheel sitting around to do some quick measurment comparison checks?

Teeth count

Diameter

Thickness

Mounting holes from center of one hole to the opposite hole center lenth.

Spline count on clutch disks.

Anything else that might differ.

Flywheel Stock Weight with and without clutch.

I have this info for my ER27, I can get it all posted tomorrow. I just need the info for the EA and EJ.

I imagine that most people might think this is barking up an ugly tree but I still need to satisfy my aspiration.

Thanks for who ever helps out

I know this for sure, you won't be able to use a clutch for a turbo ej. They are the pull type pressure plate. Any combo that could possilby work would have to be for an na ej.

That being said, subyrally had a clutch setup made for his rx once upon a time that used an ej clutch disc and build ea plate.

I have an ej flywheel. I will try to get some numbers for you tomorrow evening.

the starters are in the same place. on the side of the bellhousing, but not the same distance from the input shaft (different diameter flywheel).

the disc itself is the same as EJ stuff.....that's for sure. but the flywheel, pressure plate, and throwout bearing are all different.

a good machine shop could probably lighten an XT6 flywheel quite a bit. some carefully drilled holes around the outer edge would really effect how quickly/easily the engine revs.

and Spec makes numerous aftermarket clutch kit options.

Wow something I know... ej flywheel won't fit in an ea bell housing..it is a larger diameter, even if it could fit the ring gear is in the wrong place due to the step in the ea flywheel the ej flywheel is flat (except for the STI flywheel) Turbo EJ clutch and pressure plates, the pressure plate is a pull type setup totally incompatible with ANY ea gearbox..The EJ clutch disc however is completely compatible with 4wd ea82 setup except the STI disc which is 240 mm in diameter..Sorry if that ruins anyones plans..

Kaz

If using the N/A EJ flywheel could you build a spacer that mounts between the engine and flywheel which would bring the EJ flywheel up to where the EA ring gear runs, essentially creating the step in the EJ FW.

Correct me if I am wrong, Is the reason the EJ flywheel wont fit in the bell housing is because there are too many obstructions for where it would mount to the motor or it wont fit in the bell housing at all. I hope i am being clear with this theory.

Below is an ER flywheel to scale and an EJ that is totally guesstemated, but it works either way. You could drill hole in the EJ flywheel for it to match the ER/EA bolt pattern(in reverse like in an EJ engine swap). Then mount the spacer that would mount between the ER/EA engine and the EJ FW. The spacer will space the wheel out to where the ring gear will meet the stock ER/EA ring gear possition. Change the gears on the starter to accept the ring gear if needed.

The only way this may not work is if the diam of the Ring gear is to large or small or the clutch will be pushed out too far to allow the fork to work properly.

Just a guess, since I dont have an EJ FW to look at.:-\

ER27_Flywheel3.jpg

ER27_Flywheel4.jpg

FW_Comparison.jpg

The thing is even if the ej flywheel wasn't bigger in diameter and you could use an adapter as you've illustrated above you still have the fact that the clutch fork/throwout engagement point on the fingers of the pressure plate is actually more or less in the same place with respect to the crankshaft flange between ea and ej (assuming we are talking push type clutches)..thus stepping the ej flywheel up so the ring gear will line up with the ea ring gear also means you step the entire clutch assembly up which means you no longer have a clutch where the fork and throwout bearing can fit..

Kaz

I guess I can fight this one to death but without an EJ FW I am not going to get anywhere. I have overcome engineering larger then this in the past. I will get a FW from the junk yard and see if modification to any or all parts might make it work. But until then I will take your word for it.

Thanks for all of your help!

:-\ :confused::banghead::horse::mad: SUCKS!