Ultimate Subaru Message Board

LSD diff. innies vs. outies

Zefy

i'm looking to get my legacy rear suspension to run with the 3.7 LSD diff from an 87 RX to work with the axles on the legacy...

the legacy has innies for the stub axles while the RX has outies.

what are my options here? my thoughts are:

-swap the guts from the 3.7 to the legacy housing and maintain the innies but change the diff ratio and make it LSD

-swap my outies for some innies on my RX diff??:-\ (on paper it sounds good)

-swap the inner cups on the axles to use outies?

i know of the LSD swap into matching diffs from old gen cars however i can't seem to find reference for newer diffs with the different stub designs.

depending what year legacy (???), it probably has stub axles that remove from the DOJ cups much like the EA82 ones. once those are removed, the legacy DOJ cups will attach to the EA82 stubs just like stock.

also, pretty slim chance (if any....) that your legacy uses a 3.7 axle ratio. if you're going to put an EA82 LSD into it, you're going to be doing some gear work

depending what year legacy (???), it probably has stub axles that remove from the DOJ cups much like the EA82 ones. once those are removed, the legacy DOJ cups will attach to the EA82 stubs just like stock.

also, pretty slim chance (if any....) that your legacy uses a 3.7 axle ratio. if you're going to put an EA82 LSD into it, you're going to be doing some gear work

He should be able to just swap the LSD unit it self while using the Ring and Pinion from what ever diff he is swapping. Like the 3.9 LSD swap....

ok let me clarify...

1990 legacy. the ratio is wrong for my car and it is LSDless.

i pretty much just want to put the RX diff into the legacy. (don't worry about the ratios matching the trans. the trans is 3.7)

so all i have to do is pop the axles out, remove the stubs from the axles, then pop the diff in and slide the legacy axles over the RX stubs?

that sounds way to easy...:confused:

ok let me clarify...

1990 legacy. the ratio is wrong for my car and it is LSDless.

i pretty much just want to put the RX diff into the legacy. (don't worry about the ratios matching the trans. the trans is 3.7)

so all i have to do is pop the axles out, remove the stubs from the axles, then pop the diff in and slide the legacy axles over the RX stubs?

that sounds way to easy...:confused:

your trans is a 3.7?! huh......alright.

but yes, that pretty well covers it. it really is that easy.

before you start, take a peek under the legacy and see if it's got the spring pins like the EA82 axles. if the pins are there, then it'll be easier. some cars (pretty sure that didn't start till after ~'95ish) don't have separable stubs, and won't have the springpins at all.