Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88rx Timing???

im lookin at buyin a 88 rx from a neighbor but it has a problem

the way she tells the story she had the timing belts changed and the water pump at the same time. ran good for about a month then one day,(which i rember her doing this) she goes out to start and just it just cranks.

so i offered her cash for the car and she says i can buy it, so today i go to look at it and it will pop every once in a while while cranking, but flames shoot out the Tb. so im thinking it slipped time on one or both belts. could that be it or am i over looking something every thing else on the car looks good and in place timing is the only thing i can think of. Oh and its a 88 rx and it has a ea- 82T in it

thanks for the help! :confused:

its the same as a N/A ea 82 right?

ive done those :) but i felt the pass. side belt trough the cover it seems pretty tight im not too sure. i have big hands and two fans makes it difficult

one cam up one down assemble, if i rember correct im really excited for this car.

Dollar to donuts the rotor screw has come out.

The rotor is free to spin wherever on top of the disty shaft.

Totally Random Timing FTL!

Pull the cap and replace the screw. You're choice if you want to do it before or after lowballing her for the car.

no it had spark but!! i bought it today for 225 and it was teh timing belt

teneseinor.......... it grenaded ball berings every were! lol im really happy with it. ill try and get pics tommorw i cant belive how xpenseve they are from shucks i guess imma just go to pull and save tommorw! sold my hatch for it too. i smell some hardcore rallyin soon lol. :headbang:

yea i have done a little bit of pokin around, i know they are very prone to overheating and headgasket issues, my dad had one.

i was told by the lady i bought it from that, a guy she let work on it is a subaru "Guru" and says its a 88 and a 1/2 did they have half years??:confused:

i wasn't really sure if she was mistaken or not. but i figured she was. it has the full time d/r with diff. lock though. and i was wondering what does that do anyways, i have heard of it but was never really sure. Im talking about the diff lock if your confused. :)

i wasn't really sure if she was mistaken or not. but i figured she was. it has the full time d/r with diff. lock though. and i was wondering what does that do anyways, i have heard of it but was never really sure. Im talking about the diff lock if your confused. :)

The center Diff of these trans is a completely open diff, like any other. This allows for the Fulltime AWD by allowing some differnece in speed of each axle. The Diff lock locks the CENTER differential. Now it i jut like being in 4wd on the old cars, the center diff is now fully locked and does not allow any difference front v. rear It is for use in now,mud,ice,etc.....

Without it, when any one wheel lost traction, no other wheels would get power. It locks the center diff so that each (front v. rear)axle gets power always.

Like the 4wd of the old P/T boxes, you should not use it on pavement.

gotcha! thanks i was wonderin what it was for, i kinda figured it had to do something with power distribution. i get to go to the junkyard today. in the snow, how fun :banana:

That is also correct. Some say its a 40/60 split, others say its a 50/50 split.

WOW! got it running today im pretty happy with it, at first start up it got pretty hot i shut it down and added some more coolant and turned on the heater. seems to be normal now. i really like this car. but it needs a new drivers side axle ne body have one for free or cheap :grin:

i gotsa problem now. i was driving from my house back to my friends and steam was pourin out the back Bad pulled up to his house popped the hood and steam pours out coolant every were too dark to see whats going on

its coming from the passenger side right by the allunumun intake for the turbo the one that says subaru turbo

im really upset now, is there any know hoses to do that around that area??

:-\

i gotsa problem now. i was driving from my house back to my friends and steam was pourin out the back Bad pulled up to his house popped the hood and steam pours out coolant every were too dark to see whats going on

its coming from the passenger side right by the allunumun intake for the turbo the one that says subaru turbo

im really upset now, is there any know hoses to do that around that area??

:-\

Yeah, the one that goes from the T-stat housing area, under the intake, to the turbo. It's the coolant supply for the turbo.

is there a colant line that runs under the head too? cause i got under it and it looked like a hard line under there was leaking i dont know it could have been just running down and driping on the exaust, i really want to drive my new toy this is frustrating :mad:

No, no tee fitting. It comes off the side of the t-stat housing and runs on top of the intake, back to the turbo. Theres a short hard line then a soft line, then back to a hard line on the turbo. The hose is maybe 6in long. I replaced mine with a silicone hose, but it started leaking again. Found out the clamp wasnt tight.

Theres another hose, much smaller, about 1/4, that runs from the housing to the intake. That little thing likes to leak when it gets old too.