Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Airbag Question: After an accident...

Along with the installation of new airbags after a front end accident, is it standard procedure to replace the air bag sensors as well? There's an airbag control module on the front hump under the dash/console--does it need reset by the Subaru dealership?

need to replace the airbag and the airbag control module, located center console under the radio section. sensors are re-useable.

***note, on the airbag control module, make for certain you get it from a car that still has intact airbag.***you don't want to put one in there that has deployed the aairbag before

make sure the battery is disonnected while doing so. for the airbag, is a special torx security tamper proof bit.

need to replace the airbag and the airbag control module

note, on the airbag control module, make for certain you get it from a car that still has intact airbag.

for the airbag, is a special torx security tamper proof bit.

Thanks a lot guys.

Yeah, my donor car was hit in the side, so the air bags are all good. I went ahead a took off the sensors when I removed the passenger side airbag. I haven't read up on the proper method of removing the steering wheel, so haven't attempted that one yet. I'm gonna have to buy a special bit to get the module unattached. Is that special torx bit something I'll have to get from someplace specific, or will they have it at an AutoZone etc.?

Trivial Info: I learned today that all the airbag wiring will be all that yellow casing running through your car. I've also learned that it is incredibly fun to take apart a car when you know you don't have to put anything back together...

Thanks a lot guys.

Sorry, Jamie. :)Didn't mean to exclude you there.

Wow--what a perfect day: working on Subarus and watching my team be a part of NCAA history in Florida today. Go Hilltoppers!!! :banana:

you don't actually remove the steering wheel, it stays there. you take off the rear plastic access covers, and use the special torx tamper proof to remove the 4 screws that hold the air bag/cover on. then unhook connectors for horn and the airbag, etc.

you don't actually remove the steering wheel, it stays there. you take off the rear plastic access covers, and use the special torx tamper proof to remove the 4 screws that hold the air bag/cover on. then unhook connectors for horn and the airbag, etc.

Well, the steering wheel in the donor car is in better condition than the one in my car (besides the blown airbag), so I want to swap the whole unit. Maybe that'll be a headache??