Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ZRC Galvalite spray-on zinc (galvanize in a can)

so i ended up with 2 12oz cans of the stuff. i tried some out on a rusty strut top and on some rust spots(that have been brushed and treated with a hydrochloric compound) on the RX. looks like fun stuff, i wish i had this stuff before i enamel painted my rear suspension. product claims it can be used on aluminum as well.

"its elehtrochemical action provides protection that withstands 2000 hours of salt spray testing"

contains 95% pure zinc metal

http://www.zrcworldwide.com/pdfs/GALVILITE_9_07.pdf

Hi all. Bits and Bites on zinc coatings as I have experienced:

Zinc-rich primer products work using the same theory behind marine anodic corrosion prevention (ie. the 'zincs' on a saltwater outboard motor). The zinc is sacrificial.

In hot and humid applications, surfaces between aluminum and galvanized components should be painted to avoid accelerated oxidation.

If you want a skookum cold galvanizing product, check out zinc rich epoxy products (Zinga, Devoe Cathacote, or Cloverdale Clovazinc). The higher the % solids, the better.

You will also see better results with spray applied cold galv. if the steel is super clean and a rust converter is applied first.

Check out cyclone fence gates, you'll see where they use it on the welds.

Mandatory -standard procedure - when using on galvi - fencing ,etc.

These sprays look great in certain applications and sure do protect and last when you spray it on clean metal.

My restoration of my winch has that galvi. spray on the pulley and mounting. Looks better than when it was new.