Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2003 Outback 4 cyl spark plug brand and type

Last time I changed the plugs on our Outback, I used some platinum plugs (I forget what brand). The MPG dropped a good bit and two Soob dealers in the area recommended avoiding platinum plugs and going back to regular ones. So we picked up regular NGKs and MPG picked back up. It's time for another change and I wanted to see what brands and types people have had good success with on the ej25 in our outback. I looked at online dealer for parts and they listed the OEM as platinum (no brand specified), which seemed odd given the dealer recommendations. People out there have preferences? The choices seem endless - copper, iridium, platinum. Thanks.

I've used the NGK G-power's (plat) and V-groove (copper) and couldn't really notice a difference. I believe you could go a longer service interval with the platinums... Both types don't cost very much plug (unlike the iridium/lasers).

Don't forget that there are 'single-platinum' plugs (with platinum only on the centre-electrode), and 'double-platinum' plugs (with all-platinum electrodes).

And that with Subaru's shared firing pattern, a 'single-platinum' plug will theoretically last longer in cylinder #1 than in cylinder #2.

Or is it the other way around?

IN theory the waste spark system is hard on plugs, but in actuality, they can last 100K.

V plugs or any plugs that have multiple electrodes are a waste of money, unless they are on sale. Electricty finds the path of least resistance, and once it makes that jump, it doesnt move around.

Interestingly its usually always the same spot too.

nipper

• 2 weeks later...

Following up on a comment earlier in this thread about plug life. The service supplement to the owner's manual says that plugs should be replaced at 30K miles on all engines other than the 3.0 Turbo. Platinum NGKs are listed as original equipment and that's what I put in. But I thought platinums were supposed to last longer than that. Any advice on the replacement interval?

For completeness, dealing here with NGK G-power single-tipped platinum in an '03 4-cyl Outback.

I bought a Subie 99 OBW a little over a year ago. It had almost 150K miles on the odo. I am certain the car had the original plug wires and plugs in it since new. It actually still ran pretty well, but I still changed the plugs and wires. The original plugs had their electrodes worn way down, so they were giant gapped with no hint of oiling.

Just shows you Subie makes good motors, if we don't talk about HG issues.

Yeah - did the sister's 97 IMP 2.2 with "ordinary" NGKs - interesting thing was that the plugs that came OUT were gapped at about .080 or so, car had 160k and I would guess that these plugs had 100k of that on them to be that worn - almost all center electrode, BTW.

Still "ran" but the new plugs brought the MPG up by 1.5 to 2

I bought a Subie 99 OBW a little over a year ago. It had almost 150K miles on the odo. I am certain the car had the original plug wires and plugs in it since new. It actually still ran pretty well, but I still changed the plugs and wires. The original plugs had their electrodes worn way down, so they were giant gapped with no hint of oiling.

Just shows you Subie makes good motors, if we don't talk about HG issues.

and if they went to 10 bolt heads they probably wouldn't blow either. (but it would mean a bit of redesign because of the water jacket and manifolding needing changed to put in the 4 extra bolts)

huh, interesting. odd that Soob would underestimate the plug life so much. our Toyota van says don't even bother them until 100K, but they're iridium, so a whole different story.

I think its just subaru hedging thier bets to meet emission code. Spark plugs are replacable and allowed to be replaced at what ever interval the mfg states.

nipper