Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Raybestos vs. Centric vs. Brembo vs OEM

It's a 2000 Outback, EJ252, 4EAT, 208,000 miles.

Time to replace pads all around, and the front rotors. Last time, maybe two years ago, I used Akebono pads and Brembo standard plain vented front rotors. The pads are holding up well, little or no dust or noise or fade, but the front Brembo rotors seem to be problematic. They feel like they are warped when braking, but it's really uneven deposits of what I assume is pad material. I've taken them off twice in recent months and cleaned them, and they have pretty obvious sticky spots that I can almost remove with #100 grit sandpaper and brake clean solvent, but the deposits come back after driving for awhile. I don't know if this is the fault of the pads or the rotors, but I'd like to avoid this on the next set. The rotors also look like they have tiny surface cracks on the friction surface. I don't generally abuse my brakes, but a red light catches me every now & then.

So, I'm going to get new ceramic pads and standard (not slotted or drilled) front rotors. What I'm looking for is your personal experience with different types of aftermarket rotors and pads. I have read through the previous threads on this subject, but have not been able to reach a definite conclusion as to what to get.

Here's some source/brand/pricing options for two front rotors and 8 pads:

Rockauto-Raybestos pads, rotors (Service grade): $90

Rockauto-Centric pads, rotors: $148

Rockauto-Raybestos pads, rotors (Pro grade): $161

Tirerack-Brembo rotors-Akebono pads: $222

Partsbin-Centric rotors-Akebono pads: $254

Trademotion dealer sites-OEM pads, rotors: $255-265 varies

Drivewire-OEM rotors-Akebono pads: $264

As you can see, there's a huge difference in pricing and I'm sure, quality also. And I'm not even looking at the $300 fancy slotted or drilled rotors. It's not difficult or time consuming to change these parts, so I'm sort of leaning toward the cheap stuff, but there's also performance considerations. And I don't like brake dust.

If you have an opinion as to what should be avoided or what combinations have worked well for you in the past, I'd appreciate your sharing it.

Thanks! - 2X2KOB

Very happy with the Raybestos rotors and pads I replaced at 211K on my 96 Outback (now 235K). $150 for complete rotors/pads GS Semi-metallic, except for the front - upgrade to the PG pads. I think there every bit as good as the OE - maybe better as I had warping problems with Subaru's rotors. At the price, given the age of the car, my driving habits, this was a no-brainer in choosing Raybestos or OE.

Others here will disagree.

I've been using PBR/Axxis Ultimate ceramic pads http://www.importrp.com/product.php?productid=55185&cat=37&page=1, front and rear, on my Sube for the past couple of years and love them. Maximum fade resistance and braking power....they bite beautifully hot or cold, and are noise free. They do put out a fair amount of dust, but their performance is outstanding.

And their price from IRP is unbeatable.

I know you want standard rotors, but I recently installed DBA 4000 slotted front rotors http://www.dba.com.au/2006/default.asp and am just totally pleased with their performance. Smooth, powerful braking....especially with the Axxis Ultimate pads. They're around $116 each but, to me, considering their excellent performance, they're worth it. I think DBA makes plain, standard rotors as well; they manufacture really high quality rotors.

Anyway, the PBR/Axxis Ultimate pads are definitely a winner!

I'm also happy with the Axxis Ultimates. Great performance, but yeah, tons and tons of dust. That's something that comes with performance though.

If you're getting uneven deposits on the rotors it means the pads are getting too hot. The 00 outback is a pretty heavy car and they didn't upgrade to the bigger front brakes until 02 or 03. So skip anything from a parts store like raybestos and go with a more performance oriented pad. Some options are:

Axxis Ultimate

EBC Red or Yellowstuff

Ferodo DS2500

Hawk HPS or HP+

As for rotors, the cheapest thing that is straight is really all you need. DBA makes nice stuff, but it's not really worth the $40-80 extra over a blank. Centric and brembo make good rotors so I would just go with one of those those. I've used importrp.com a few times and they have good prices.

Also curious about Napa's cermix pads.
i'm curious too, i've seen them recommended, not sure where, XT forums maybe? so i recommended them to my brother in law and i called him last night - he loves them. we noticed a nice bite and noticeably improved braking as soon as they were bedded in after i helped him install. that was about 5 months ago and he said they've been great, he installed another set in his other car himself.

i'm going to go with the ceramix unless i hear something very convincing in the next few days.