Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4eat Sticks In 1st Until It Heats Up.

Whats up Subaru freaks!

So my friend picked up a 91 EJ22 4EAT AWD Legacy Wagon with 164K miles for only $300. The only things known that were wrong was the car wouldn't start, which was quickly narrowed down to the fuel pump, and the transmission sticks in first until the car heats up to operating temps. The fuel pump was a quick junkyard fix. Now we have to figure out what the deal is with the transmission.

I have seen on another thread that a sticky governor or a modulator could be the cause on a 3EAT, but that was an OLDER model.

Does anyone know what could be the cause? We flushed all the old trans fluid out, flushed all the lines, changed the internal and external filters, added a quart of Lucas to the trans and filled it with dextron III. Does anyone have any ideas? If so please share!!!

:popcorn:

The outside temp is between 55-75. Shouldn't be a problem. My other ej shifts just fine in colder weather. It is stuck in first gear. It hit 4k revs at about 20 mph.

I will try to find that sensor and pull one from the junkyard. Hopefully that is all it is.

Anyone else have an idea?

Thanks

Try the sensor first.

What was the magnet like when you got into the trans the first time? Was it sludge-o-rama on the bottom of the pan? Maybe the previous owner didn't take care of it as well as necessary and you broke a lot of crud loose. Hopefully this is a minor problem, easily fixed, and you got the AT worked on in time.

What does it sound like when you manually run through the gears at a full stop? Whines/clunks? No sound? Lurch? No lurch?

Once it's warm, can you automatically or manually shift down without lurches or weird whines? Let us know.

Dex III was right, but did you doublecheck the level? Subie ATs are notoriously finicky about problems after overfilling even by so little as a cup, and that stick is so $%^(@!#**!! - uh, difficult to get a good reading on.

You didn't mention if this happens when you stay strictly in Drive or also when you manually try to shift up. If you can manually shift up to 2-3-D and you can't get it out of 1st when you're strictly in D, weelll... that's a different kettle of fish... may the sensor fix your AT.

If i can remember right it was sticking, my friend shifted into first and then second and the transmission finally shifted in to second also. I think once he shifts manually and then back into drive it free's up the trans and then shifts all day with no problems. I will have to double check that and make sure that happens all the time.

The magnet looked like a flower of metal flakes with metal flakes lining the bottom of the pan.

While sitting the tranny shifts through all gears fine and sounds great.

Well today it stuck in 3rd gear for about 2-3 miles.

And then we figured we would jump the car a few times and then race it through a field with rutts to see if that would loosen up the transmission. SERIOUSLY! JUMPS AND RUTTS! :grin: We will see if the trans acts up tomorrow morning. If so then it is back to the trauma treatment!

We had all 4 wheels off the ground! For a $300 EJ22 wagon that thing drives awsome! The suspension handles great and it didn't even feel like we hit the ground that hard when we landed.:grin: That car is freaking awsome!!!

Well today it stuck in 3rd gear for about 2-3 miles.

And then we figured we would jump the car a few times and then race it through a field with rutts to see if that would loosen up the transmission. SERIOUSLY! JUMPS AND RUTTS! :grin: We will see if the trans acts up tomorrow morning. If so then it is back to the trauma treatment!

We had all 4 wheels off the ground! For a $300 EJ22 wagon that thing drives awsome! The suspension handles great and it didn't even feel like we hit the ground that hard when we landed.:grin: That car is freaking awsome!!!

Well the transmission may be the least of your issues in the near future

:brow::banana:

got to love a good 300.00 car

nipper

Thanks nipper,

I thought I was loosing my mind! I looked all over and through the CRAP Chiltons and FSM (not as crappy) but could not find anything. This would explaine why I could not find it.

I would if there was one, but there isnt.

http://www.endwrench.com/pdf/feb2004pdf/4EAT.pdf

It uses two VSS sensors, one in the tranny (and i think in yours) one in the spedo head.

nipper