Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dual range 5-speed, intermittent no reverse?

I swaped a junk yard 5 speed, with about 140k miles on it into my 89 GL10. Since doing so, about 1 out of 5-10 times, reverse is hard to find. It will shift into the reverse postion, but nothing is there, engine just reves up. If i play with it, shift it around, i can feel where it finally goes in. Other times, i can drive it all day, and never have a problem. Linkage/bushings, or internal issue? Anyone had a similar problem?

there is no internal reason for it to be there and other times not to be.

The shifter forks are moved by a tab on the end of the selector orod insid ethe tranny. That is on the end of a *finger*, and is a little over a 1/4 inch wide.

If it,or the groove in the reverse fork that it catches wear or bend, it could allow the shifter linkage, and the selector rod inside could move into the correct position, without actually engaging the fork or moving it.

I suspect this is what happened. This type of wear is what can cause 2 gears engaged at once, which binds bad and becomes hard to get out of gear, sometimes breaking when forced.

5spdshifterforktabs.jpg

As you can see, It would not take too much to bend those small pieces. I've held them, and they are sturdy, but definately not indestructible.

Its not popping out. The Shifter just slides into place smothly, doesent even feel like its doing anything. And it only seems to happen then the tranny is cold. I would guess internal, as well, since it seems to shift all the other gears ok, and the bushings i can see seem ok. If i was keeping the car, i would just drive it. But i was planning on selling it to a girl i know, who needs a cheap car.

Can we try something really simple first, when was the last time the oil in the tranny was changed.

Get under the car and make sure all the linkages are working (and tranny mount and gear shift) are all tight.

My old GL would do it ocassionally, but you know, i never thought much about it, i just wrote it off to age, as it would go into reverse the next time.

nipper

Can we try something really simple first, when was the last time the oil in the tranny was changed.

Get under the car and make sure all the linkages are working (and tranny mount and gear shift) are all tight.

My old GL would do it ocassionally, but you know, i never thought much about it, i just wrote it off to age, as it would go into reverse the next time.

nipper

Oil was changed about 1000 miles ago, when i put the D/R in it. And its done it since. Same with the linkage. all tight, and been doing it since the day i installed it...but then, i guess, there are reasons those cars end up at the wrecking yard, too!

I swaped a junk yard 5 speed, with about 140k miles on it into my 89 GL10. Since doing so, about 1 out of 5-10 times, reverse is hard to find. It will shift into the reverse postion, but nothing is there, engine just reves up. If i play with it, shift it around, i can feel where it finally goes in. Other times, i can drive it all day, and never have a problem. Linkage/bushings, or internal issue? Anyone had a similar problem?

Well, several good responses. Internal? Mabie

Driver error, mabie. It doesn't matter what the bushings look like. What matters is if the whole shifter assembly is tight. You know this from the driver seat.

Could it be a clutch thing? Mabie.

Just some thoughts.

Doug