Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mixed tires for 4x4?

Tomorrow I'll be heading to the J/Y hoping for some good tires for my 83GL. I know it's a really bad idea to use different size tires on a 4WD. Is it then also a bad idea to use different makes of tire? Or am I okay with a mixed set as long as their all the same size? I'm shooting for 215/75/15s to match a spare I have.

imho I'd say your on the right track. try to find similar tread depths. On newer cars i would say no way. Just a few 16ths off between tires can screw up traction controll, abs, etc to the point that if you really needed it you might end up in a ditch. isn't technology nice?

I have 2 different brands/types of tires on my wagon. One matching set on the front, and another different set on the rear. It works, because it is what I have, for now. It is a 4spd hi/low, and is welded in the rear.

They are all the same tire size (215/75/14), and are all of good tread.

I don't really think you are going to encounter a problem, as the slop in a 15 plus year old machine is going to soak up alot. I wouldn't try different sizes on the front, and rear, but as long as you are keeping them all the same size; you should be fine.

One thing to keep in mind is that you may want to measure whatever tires you intend to use while mounted, and inflated to the psi you intend to run in them. Compare this measurement to other tires you intend to use. It is common for 2 different tires that are "called" the same size (IE 215/75/14) to measure different sizes than each other. This is just due to different make ups of the tires. I have seen as much as 1.5" of difference on even small tires when measured mounted, and inflated to the same PSI. It's just another thing to think about, especially if you are welded in the rear.

Tomorrow I'll be heading to the J/Y hoping for some good tires for my 83GL. I know it's a really bad idea to use different size tires on a 4WD. Is it then also a bad idea to use different makes of tire? Or am I okay with a mixed set as long as their all the same size? I'm shooting for 215/75/15s to match a spare I have.
Go to Harrys in Hazleton. Check the GM section because Im sure I seen a nice set of four tires that size on a Lumina or something like that.

As it turned out, I didn't even have to mix anything. I didn't even get past the trucks before I found these.

DSCN7114.jpg

Nissan Pathfinders had 215/75/15s for their spare size. None of these spares have seen any use. I got 5 new tires for $55!!! Had to wander around quite a bit to find 5 pathfinders that still had an unused spare, but it was worth it. Nice deep off road tread. Can't have asked for better.:banana: Also something to consider for anyone else after tires like this.

As it turned out, I didn't even have to mix anything. I didn't even get past the trucks before I found these.

DSCN7114.jpg

Nissan Pathfinders had 215/75/15s for their spare size. None of these spares have seen any use. I got 5 new tires for $55!!! Had to wander around quite a bit to find 5 pathfinders that still had an unused spare, but it was worth it. Nice deep off road tread. Can't have asked for better.:banana: Also something to consider for anyone else after tires like this.

Are they six lug?

you better check on the sidewalls. last time i thought of using spares, one like yours, i read the sidewall closely: said not to exceed 45 mph, its a spare temp use tire only.

These say do not exceed 50 mph. My wagon barely goes above 55 on a highway and rarely sees highway use. I figure if it's safe to drive a pathfinder at 50, a much lighter subaru will have no trouble at 55. It's primarily an off road/trail driver for all the hills and trails around here.