Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A nifty discovery!

Gyoas759

For those of us on a budget. (And who among us isn't?) I found some great stuff in the junk yard today. The spare tires that came on the Nissan Pathfinders are size 215/75/15 and have a very nice off road tread pattern. I think the standard is 235/75/15. Spare tires rarely get use so I picked up 4 new (Still have the little rubber hairs) off the back spare tire holders of some Pathfinders in the Hazleton Harrys this afternoon. Plus a new TOYO tire (Same size but more of a road tire tread) off another Pathfinder for a spare. grand total of $55. for 5 brand spanking new off roaders for my GL. Now, I wait only for the cash for a lift.

Anyone else who's after some cheap new wheels, keep an eye on the Pathfinders. It's about a 27 1/2 inch tire.

DSCN7114.jpg

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Didn't look to see exactly what the years were. Early 90s I think. First generation ones that are most common to the junk yard now. Harry's is a huge U-pull-it, but it shouldn't be hard to piece together a set from a few different yards. I'll just keep gathering these as I find them to get another set for when these wear out. At $11 a tire I can't go wrong.

The spares are mostly for Nissan Pathfinders, are made by either Toyo, or Bridgestone (most common ones I found), and are usually 225s. The only problem with them is that the side walls are light. Real light. I called my buddy at the tire shop, and he claimed they are an oddball rated at less than 4 ply load range. They are abundant, and the rims are ok. The only problem I see with the rims is that once redrilled the outer area for the two new lug holes will need to be ground flat for a good lug nut mating surface.

I was gonna go with these until I found out how light the sidewalls are. For the price though....:rolleyes:

Spoil one of the only good things a Subaru has? Weight..

Three wheels and tires of that size could easily weigh 300lb, a tenth of a loaded Subaru.

In my case, I'll mostly be using these on light off roading. Dirt roads, branches, puddles, hills and the like. Hopefully not too many rocks. I've been using the dry rotted 195s that were on the peugeot I got the rims from and surprisingly, haven't blown one yet. Here's hoping these Bridgestones hold up well on the same trails.

In central PA, the best off roading is all within about 20 miles of my house, so I can afford to only carry a single spare. I can always call a friend to retrieve an extra if I need it. And I've had to walk home before as well. (My Toyota was responsible that time though.)

The only problem with them is that the side walls are light. Real light. I called my buddy at the tire shop, and he claimed they are an oddball rated at less than 4 ply load range.

Out of curiousity, what is the norm for a tire?

Yup. It's there. And in this case, it says not to go over 50. I figure if 50 is safe on a pathfinder, 55 (Which is about as fast as my Sube ever goes) is still well within the safety realm since a Subaru is a much lighter beast.

The Subaru these are destined for is primarily a local and trail riding car. This winter it sat around until a snowstorm would come through. Then we'd go out and have a little fun.

I wouldn't choose these tires if I used my subaru for road trips, but I think it's the most cost effective option for my circumstances. Yet to be seen though. We'll see what happens when I start driving them.

Out of curiousity, what is the norm for a tire?

Stock subaru tires are usually 4 ply or so.

Most aftermarket off road tires (in sizes applicable to Subarus) are going to be 6 ply.

I think most people here would agree that 6 ply tires on wheeling Subarus are good, and about as thick as you want to go. Naturally, the more plys you have; the more the tire weighs.

So a lower ply tire will give the advantage of being lighter, which is always a good thing. However, low ply tires are exactly that; low ply, this means a thinner sidewall, and less puncture resistance.

A 4 ply sidewall should hold up fine for what you plan on doing, and you won't feel the effect of dramatic weight gains that you would encounter with a much thicker tire. This means better power, pedal response, etc.

Just be sure to be a little more careful of obstacles in the path ahead of you. I would steer a wide path around any sharp rocks that look capable of damaging your side walls. Especially due to the tall sidewalls on those tires.

Other than that, they should work great for what you are doing. Good find!

I always enjoy hearing about it when people find a way to be effective, and have fun on a budget. We don't all need ridiculous trail rigs to get big grins. I always found expensive wheelers a case of more money, more problems!

HAPPY WHEELING!!:burnout: