Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sound system

I currently have an 82 brat dl with an am radio. Would ;ove to put in a newer soob radio with weather band, cd player but am at a loss as to where to begin . I'm old school, as in 8 track and even pre fm radio, so I don't need to worry about ipod or sat radio. I am a bit confused with din connections and the sort. My last radio install was in A BRAND NEW 75 Ford Pinto. All I had to worry about was new speakers, power, antenna plug, and a good ground. Any words of wisdom from the newer school? I am just interested in listening to my sounds,not inflicting them on passersby or registering on the Richter scale. Thanks.

biggest issues you'll run into are the size of a modern head unit (wider than the original) and also the weird wiring of the speakers in the Subies (common ground)

Scosche makes an adapter so you can fit a bigger radio in. **CLICKY** if you're just connecting to existing speakers then you can probably splice into the existing speaker cables, if installing new ones then run new lines.

The stock sound system leaves alot to be desired. To install a CD player into your Brat doesnt take too much work if you plan ahead a bit. Just know that you wont be able to use any of the factory speaker wires as they were hooked to a common ground. You need to run all new speaker wires to each speaker. Not sure what size speakers you have but someone else will chim in with that.

As for the stereo headunit itself, contrary to popular belief, you can fit a modern headunit in the center console. It requires moving the radio down to where the package tray is and moving the package tray up to where the stock radio was. There is also the solution of using a slanted center console. They show up from time to time in the for sale section. Here is a link to my Cardomain page that shows pics of what i did to my 83 GL awhile ago.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/724118/3