Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Northern Virginia dealers - which is best

Personally, I steer clear of dealers for repairs. The vast majority are too expensive and very inconsistent. I would check for a local repair shop that specializes in Subaru repairs. I don't know of any in NoVA since I'm in MD. I use York Automotive in Mt. Airy, MD. The owner has a Subaru and they are familiar with these cars. They are not the cheapest place around, but when I find someone I trust it's worth it, and they are still cheaper than a dealer.

for a general maintenance timing belt - don't go to Subaru unless you like spending money unnecessarily.

my aunt was quoted $699 for her timing belt only in MD (same engine as yours - 2000 Legacy EJ25). i did not only the timing belt but replaced a timing pulley or two that weren't smooth and the water pump for about $300 in parts.

find an honest mechanic and request to use only a Subaru timing belt. if you can't find one of those, then go to the dealer.

maybe i should just drive down there and do the belt for you for half the dealers cost!?

i'm not familiar with any in the DC area, but further north in MD i am.

blazer...

i just remembered that i showed you my legacy when i posted a question about my ac giving me issues. i had the green legacy and met with you at your work off judicial. in any case, i took my car to a place called AK auto in vienna which worked on my electrical problem for days and charged me a very resonable amount. my ac is still working, and i really recommend that place.

here is a link to them.

http://www.akautoservice.com/

in addition, he emailed me after i received my car to remind me to keep my gas tank full to ensure the components insidethe tank stay lubricated, etc. seemed to be very knowledgeble and resonable. i am taking my car there for the timing when needed.

-let us know when you do, i want to know what he quotes you as it has been a while since i was there and asked myself.

(btw i found him on cartalk.com)

-ali