Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My new old car - '86 GL Wagon - Questions

can anyone else see the pictures? i uploaded them on a different computer and now i'm at home and can see them

Also GeneralDisorder... how can you be sure I have a feedback carb? There is no computer underneath the the kick panel... what other tell-tale signs are there if I have a feedback carburator?

can anyone else see the pictures? i uploaded them on a different computer and now i'm at home and can see them

Also GeneralDisorder... how can you be sure I have a feedback carb? There is no computer underneath the the kick panel... what other tell-tale signs are there if I have a feedback carburator?

O2 sensor's only came on feedback's. So unless the exhaust has been swapped out then you have one. And your mileage sucks, which is a good sign.

The computer on the feedback EA82's also controls the fuel pump relay so if it's been removed they would have also had to rewire the ground to the pump relay as well.

And no - we can't see the pictures.

GD

Hey. It's been a while, but still need your help...

OK, so about a week ago I started getting some groaning in the front passenger wheel. I took off the hubcap and the nut in the center (with the codder pin in it...excuse me for lack of part name) was extremely loose, to the point of being able to just flick it to and fro. I hand tightened it down and the groans stopped. Next day groans again... nut loose again. This time I really reef on it (mechanic friend says to give it all, that it isn't in conjunction with the bearings and that he impact wrenches 95% of his) and the groans stop again. Two days later (today), it's groaning like it never groaned before and the nut is not as loose... but noticeably looser than when I tightened it (the groaning is more of a clunking actually, seems to go with the wheel revolutions and gets louder with the clutch in and breaking... also, when passing close by concrete buildings I can hear the echo and it sounds like a compressor giving off short bursts of air pst..pst...pst...pst--- this is when there is no clunking). Also, I can hear some tire rubbing where there has never been tiring rubbing before. Really stumped with this one.

So I have two questions: 1) Was it wrong to tighten it with no mercy? Or is it supppose to be super tight?

2) What can cause the nut to keep coming loose? The codder pin has been put back in both times, tho it has been a little loose, didnt think it mattered (figured it worked like a trailer hitch sort of, just to keep it from sliding off in extreme cases)

EDIT: Also... I replaced the fuel filter and it was backwards... just curious how much affect this has on fuel system...

Thanks!!!!!

1) Was it wrong to tighten it with no mercy? Or is it supppose to be super tight?

Tighter than you can get it with an impact actually. By the book it has to be 150 ft/lbs. 200 to 250 with a 3/4 drive breaker bar and a 4 foot cheater is where I stop.

2) What can cause the nut to keep coming loose? The codder pin has been put back in both times, tho it has been a little loose, didnt think it mattered (figured it worked like a trailer hitch sort of, just to keep it from sliding off in extreme cases)

The cone washer under the nut is worn out - probably very badly at this point. Possbily the hub, and perhaps the splines on it and the axle as well. When these are allowed to loosen repeatedly all of these items can be damaged. You'll need to take it all apart, clean, and carefully inspect each peice for wear. I'll tell you right now you need a new cone washer and probably the hub it mates into as well.

EDIT: Also... I replaced the fuel filter and it was backwards... just curious how much affect this has on fuel system...

Thanks!!!!!

On a carb.... wouldn't hurt anything. The flow rate through them is low so as long as it runs it's fine.

GD