Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 GL 4wd wagon slipping clutch questions

Never done this before, so bear with me if I ask stupid questions or make stupid comments. It slips in all gears so based on all the reading I have been doing on the site, I would guess I need to get a clutch kit. I searched the site and found that I need a disc with 8 7/8" diameter, but what about the spline inside diameter, 7/8" or 1"? Anything else I need to know? I am definitely getting help, I am positive I don't have all the tools I need to do this, even if I knew how.

Thanks in advance.

No but I did something a friend told me to try. I started my sub, put it in 4th gear with the emergency brake on and let up on the clutch slowly and the car never died. He tells me that's a pretty good sign the clutch is gone.

No but I did something a friend told me to try. I started my sub, put it in 4th gear with the emergency brake on and let up on the clutch slowly and the car never died. He tells me that's a pretty good sign the clutch is gone.
Or the cable is to tight not letting the clutch ingage. How many miles on it? Any history from the seller?

You need an EA82 4WD clutch kit. You don't need to worry about spline counts, ect if you order from a decent retailer or the dealer. All the EA82 5 speed 4WD's use the same clutch.

The job is easy and requires only basic hand tools and the will to get the job done. Remove the radiator, disconnect the exhaust, engine mounts, and all the other lines/accesories attaching the engine then pull it up and forward into where the radiator was.

You don't need a hoist as pulling the engine out, or the tranny out is not neccesary.

Adjust the cable first, but it's likely not the cable as they don't usually get tighter on their own.

GD

It has 259k on it, no real history from the PO.

Thanks for the info. I asked because when I was searching online I found two types for 4wd. Of course now I can't find the site now that I am home!

One is for EA81's, and one is for EA82's. You want the "wagon, sedan, or 3-door coupe" version. Not the "Hatchback, Brat" version. Which should be the only listings availible for an 86.

But with 260k on it - do you really want to dump any cash into it? That's a butt-load of miles for an 86. Chances are just about everything that is a wear item on that car is totally shot - bearings, bushings, shocks, carb, ect. And the EA82's run for a long time, but 300k is getting close to the limits.

There's just not a lot of realistic life left in that chassis is all I'm saying. If you love the car that's one thing - but if not then you really should be looking for something newer and more reliable unless you enjoy wrenching every weekend like me and a few others. Older EA's are not right for most people. Especially not with Gen 1 Legacy's so cheap anymore.

GD

One is for EA81's, and one is for EA82's. You want the "wagon, sedan, or 3-door coupe" version. Not the "Hatchback, Brat" version. Which should be the only listings availible for an 86.

But with 260k on it - do you really want to dump any cash into it? That's a butt-load of miles for an 86. Chances are just about everything that is a wear item on that car is totally shot - bearings, bushings, shocks, carb, ect. And the EA82's run for a long time, but 300k is getting close to the limits.

There's just not a lot of realistic life left in that chassis is all I'm saying. If you love the car that's one thing - but if not then you really should be looking for something newer and more reliable unless you enjoy wrenching every weekend like me and a few others. Older EA's are not right for most people. Especially not with Gen 1 Legacy's so cheap anymore.

GD

Well, I only just picked it up as a project for me and my sons. I figure it would be fun to teach em the simple stuff (all I know) and learn some new stuff. It actually drives pretty nice, runs perfectly straight down the road and everything works on it, power windows, AC, etc. I really don't want to sink a ton of money into it but, I could buy a car for 2 or 3 times as much that could up being just as problematic and expensive.

I could buy a car for 2 or 3 times as much that could up being just as problematic and expensive.

Certainly, but the possibility of that happening can be mitigated almost to a non-concern with proper research into your model selection, and careful inspection of any potential purchase. Gen 1 (90 to 94) Legacy's are without a doubt one of the most reliable vehicles you can find for under $1000. They are just unstoppable. Far, far more reliable than the EA82, and just about as cheap anymore.

GD