Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gas cap connector, oil level oddities

Two simple Qs:

(1) How the heck do you remove the "strap" on the gas cap from the gas cap door? That little plastic "screw" won't budge.

(2) Every time I check the oil level in our '03 Outback it reads a bit different. After a change, I fill oil slowly and check often to be sure not to overfill. Once it gets close, I run the engine a bit, let it settle, then re-check and top off. The next day I can pull the stick and it will be a 1/2 inch higher than the notch on the stick. What gives? There must be a better way, or something I'm missing.

yeah every time i do an oil change on any subaru for the most part...i have a hard time reading the oil on the dipstick...like aircraftengineer said as long as you know your dumping in the right amount i wouldnt worry about it.......

Why do you want to remove the gas cap from the plastic strap? It's there to keep you from loosing it. It is a part of your emissions system and if your cap is loose, or not on; your engine light will come on. It gets in the way sometimes but I would not remove mine unless it was to repair or replace.

Some years ago, on a previous car, a 1986 Peugeot(yeah, :lol: ) I lost the gas cap twice(!), forgetting it at gas stations...cost about $25 each time to replace. I'm rather glad that my Subie's gas cap is attached.:)

Regarding the oil level on the dipstick, I, too, usually have a bitsch of a time getting a correct oil level on my Sube:mad:. I always check the oil on level ground, but it's sometimes under the notch (or hole, if the oil is hot), sometimes over, and often under on one side of the dipstick and over on the other side:-\

Even pulling the dipstick out and waiting for several minutes before shoving it back in and then out again (:grin:) often gives no satisfaction.

I've done that several times in a row, finally determining that my oil is somewhat low, adding some carefully, then finding at the next time I check the level that the oil is a quarter of an inch above the full mark....sigh... I give up!!!:confused:

I've never experienced such a problem getting a correct oil level reading with ANY other car!