Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No AC Air Conditioning not working Fill ?

Hello,

My ac isn't working. No compressor spinning and the low pressure side checked with a gauge has no pressure.

Does anybody know if I fill the system with a few cans will I be damaging anything?

I do not know long the pressure has been down. I am concerned that it is so low. Not even a few psi so it had to leak out somewhere.

Thanks,

John

overfilling is bad. do some general A/C reading on the internet for basics on this stuff, it's very helpful. sounds like you have a really good start since you have access to a gauge and stuff so you should be able to swing this.

if the system is dead out of pressure you might want to consider replacing both schrader valves. $2 fixes and they are prone to leak. there's a special tool that allows you to replace them without loosing any refrigerant...nifty little device...but if the system is low, just swap them out right quick and no harm done.

Add a can of 134 to see if you can get the compressor to start. Don't remove shrader valves, or do anything else to "open up" the system. You don't want to let atmosphere air into the system.

Add another can if the compressor cycles on and off quickly, and the air output from the vent is just cool, not cold.

Check your can guage, don't over charge.

be carefull of what you do. first, which car you talking about? what does it have in it ? if you mix gases or install stop leak most shops will test for this and then refuse to work on yer car. if yer gonna work on yer owb system then study up. if you have no gas in the system then you have air. air and moisture is death to the a/c system. so first look around and see if you see an oily area on the system. this is good sign of the leaking area. if not then charge it with the appropriate gas with a dye and oil to check for a leak. you will need a black light or a white cloth to rub on the system and check for dye. fix what you find is leaking. you MUST vac the system at least for an hour. you MUST replace the dryer just before vac the system. charge with the appropriate gas and oil charge.

george

This for the SVX.

Part of the problem is that I haven't looked for cold AC in the winter. Now I am looking for it and I have no idea how long the pressure has been down. Zero psi is low and I think it might have a hole somewhere.

So from what you are telling me if there is a hole then air and moisture might have gotten pulled into the AC system and this is not good.

What happens to the compressor if it is run with air and moisture in the system?

This for the SVX.

Part of the problem is that I haven't looked for cold AC in the winter. Now I am looking for it and I have no idea how long the pressure has been down. Zero psi is low and I think it might have a hole somewhere.

So from what you are telling me if there is a hole then air and moisture might have gotten pulled into the AC system and this is not good.

What happens to the compressor if it is run with air and moisture in the system?

I had 0 pressure over the winter as well. I filled up with 19oz of refrigerant and it was fine.

Thanks for the posts :)

I filled it up with one sealer/R134a and one just R134a last Thursday and so far evrything is okay. That was 24oz total. It's running cold and the pressure is okay. No big obvious leaks anywhere.

Take care of that Subaru,

John

Glad to hear that you have cold air. Saw that you added some sealer......suggest you go easy on that stuff. A little is okay, add much more, and it can seal "plug up" the condenser. Once that happens, the condenser needs to be replaced. BTDT