Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 5 lug conversion

hyperlite2

I know that it is on here somewhere, but i can not find it.

I want to do a full 5 lug conversion on my ea81 brat. I am confused about which parts i need and what i need to fabricate. There aren't many subarus where i live, so i dont have access to parts to see if i could make them work. Is there a good write up that covers everything on this subject?

Thanks,

Bryan

There are many different ways to assemble a 5-lug swap. so you'll have to do some research, and see which works best for you (which parts are most easily accessible).

here's the original list:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50400

there are some updated lists with pictures and stuff around as well, but that'll give you a pretty good start.

The problem with the EA81 swap is the front suspension. the rear end works exactly the same as the EA82 as far as the hubs and brakes are concerned. But the EA81 front track is narrower. and the difference is in the engine crossmember. So, all 5-lug axles will be too long......so you'll need to have some custom axles made.

Someone else will have to chime in with the details, but I'm fairly sure that you can't use XT6 control arms on an EA81 either, so you'll need to ream out the ball joint hole on the EA81 arms, or make a sleeve to put the EA ball joint in your ER/EJ knuckles like discopotato did.

S'ko did it (as I'm sure you'll see in the post he linked) by putting an EA82 engine crossmember under his brat. but the lift blocks were a crucial part of that.....pretty hard to do it at stock height.

also, look for posts by rguyver, he did it in his Brat. But then again......he's an amazingly skilled fabricator :slobber: :slobber:

No No No , please don't attach my handle to the sleeved L ball joint method .

My control arms were reamed out L Series ones with a purpose made reamer (part of the Australian Crossbred kit) .

XT6 arms have the exact same tapered hole As L series arms , they're just machined further into the arm to give more load bearing area for heavier cars such as XT6's .

I reckon the ball and seat in the later XT6/Legacy joint is probably larger and well worth having .

Cheers A .

No No No , please don't attach my handle to the sleeved L ball joint method .

My control arms were reamed out L Series ones with a purpose made reamer (part of the Australian Crossbred kit) .

XT6 arms have the exact same tapered hole As L series arms , they're just machined further into the arm to give more load bearing area for heavier cars such as XT6's .

I reckon the ball and seat in the later XT6/Legacy joint is probably larger and well worth having .

Cheers A .

Where can a bloke like me get a reamer like that?