Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello - I am new to the forum and not yet a Subaru owner. I have searched some of the threads but have not yet found one that summarizes my question.

I am interested in a 1 - 5 year old 4 cyl Outback or Legacy maybe turbo, maybe N/A. What serious common problems should I look out for? One owner told me to stay away from early '05 models with manual transmissions because the clutches are bad. True? Also, I have seen threads on blown head gaskets. Is this a problem and if so, what engines / years?

If there is a current thread on this that someone can point me toward, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

it's hard to find quantitative and non-anecdotal information about 1-5 year old vehicles. there's a ton of reasons why. issues are covered under warranty or paid for out of pocket to the extent that people aren't spending gobs of time on-line reporting this stuff or asking questions. many people with a $10,000 - $20,000 car and car payments just aren't the type to spend time on a car forum and trouble shoot themselves.

some mechanics that may be members here might have some input but otherwise feedback like this is limited.

There have been no HG issues on turbo models (so far), of course just by them being turbos they may be more prone to it then the same engine non - turbo. In generall they seem to be aging very well.

Any AWD car, take it to a parking lot and do tight figure 8's at idle speed. If the car can't do the manuver smoothly, then either the tires arent matched or the AWD system is failing. Both reason enough to walk away form the car.

nipper

So, "torque bind" is a symptom of the AWD system beginning to fail? I know that there were several different AWD systems in Subs several years back: 4 cyl -vs- 6 cyl, auto -vs-manual (I may be oversimplifying). Are any of these more likely to suffer from torque bind?

Also, any history on clutch failures?

I assume most recent 4 cyls are DOHCs? Are BHGs more likely on SOHCs or DOHCs?

Thanks again.

Clutches are wear items, so there is no such thing as "clutch failure" (though there has been one or two with less then 12K on the car, but thats not unreasonable, things break) , they just wear out depending upon the drivers habits.

Torque bind in a manul means the AWD has failed, period. This is usually due to mismatched tires or running on a flat.

Full time AWD has been around across the baord since 91 i think. Either wway, your not going to find anything but for the years your looking for.

Blown headgakets are referred to HG, not BHG (it gets confusing otherwise).

The DOHC was dropped in 1999 in favor of a SOHC.

Internal head gaskets are the DOHC's and external HG leaks are from 99-02 (?).

All mfg's have HG issues of some kind. SUbaru is 15% of all 2.5 engines. Turbos dont seem to have the issue.

nipper

Well hold on a sec.. I don't think its the AWD that has "failed" You make it sound like a catastrophic problem :dead:

Its just a viscous coupler that is going bad.. not a total and complete failure by any means.

No its not going bad, it has gone bad, and it has failed. The moment it can no longer allow for independent movement between the front and rear axles, it has failed.

And it is catstrophic to the AWD system. And yes it can be dangerous on a slick road.

Either it works or it doesnt, just like being a little pregnent, no such thing.

nipper

Well hold on a sec.. I don't think its the AWD that has "failed" You make it sound like a catastrophic problem :dead:

Its just a viscous coupler that is going bad.. not a total and complete failure by any means.

I agree. Torque binding is not the AWD "failing"

If anything it is "over succeeding"

I'd rather have torque bind than FWD. That would be "failed"

I agree. Torque binding is not the AWD "failing"

If anything it is "over succeeding"

I'd rather have torque bind than FWD. That would be "failed"

Keeping in mind this is just a manual. Torque bind puts additional stress on the drive line components (axles motor mounts tires). It can make steering the car very hard and unpredictable.

IN an automatic TB may be correctable, but when the only choise for repair in a manual is replacing the viscous coupling (and maybe the internal diff) thats a failure of the system.

nipper

So, recent 4 cyls are 2.5 liter - correct? What year did they transition from 2.2 l?

And all 2000+ 4 cyls are SOHC?

A guy with a 2005 Legacy GT manual said his clutch was bad from the beginning. The dealer tried to fix but he said is was never right. He said a mid 2005 change corrected the problem.

Also, the "Car Guys" (who often recommend Subarus) made mention that they had seem some problem with clutches on Subarus.

And all 2000+ 4 cyls are SOHC?

normally aspirated, yes.

You can check out www.cars101.com for year to year changes.

Also, the "Car Guys" (who often recommend Subarus) made mention that they had seem some problem with clutches on Subarus.

There has been a clutch "judder" problem, especially when cold. A search will yield some results. I think my 99 Forester has had these symptoms since purchased at 72K miles, but with smooth clutch action, it's unnoticeable, at least on my car. Now at 133K miles, I'll just replace it when it wears out.

I drove another 99 Forester with updated components installed and noticed that the clutch engagement was definitely smoother than that in my car.