Ultimate Subaru Message Board

weber throttle linkage binding

Ive been getting this problem on and off for the last few months and it really bothers me. My throttle linkage is binding really badly these days. I think its binding right between the carb body and the linkage. Is there a good solution to this other than getting the stock hitachi cable guide and adding another return spring?

Mine also binds when the engine gets good and hot during long trips. Doesn't stick on, but gets hard to accelerate smoothly. There's someone on here who sells bearing kits for the throttle shaft. Can't remember their user name, but look in the Vendor forum and there's a post about it there.

Adding too much return spring tension is hard on the main shaft bushings/bearings, so it's better to fix the problem instead of just adding more tension.

Andy

I found the end of the oem cable attaching to the hitachi bracket on my weber was rubbing on the fast idle linkage (or whatever it is, in that spot)until I ground it down. I didn't think it was the problem until I had someone else on the petal while I looked.

The throttle shaft nut is on hand tight and i still have binding issues. As for the hitachi throttle cable holder thingy (not sure the name) im not using it. Im using whatever cable holder came with the weber new. I dont see any binding between the cable end and the throttle but ill look again later.

Took the linkage all apart, cleaned it, put it back together. It still binds :mad:. I made a call to bigjim and bought his roller bearing throttle shaft repair kit. My carb may be relatively new but it already has a bit of play in the main shaft to the point i could feel the idle pick up if i put a bit of downward pressure on the shaft. Stupid plastic bushings.