Ultimate Subaru Message Board

taillights will not turn off...

It is that little pesky parking rocker type switch that is located on the top of the steering column just behind the steering wheel. I never use mine to know exactly what it is, or what it is suppose to be used for. It is prolly some sort of European or Japanese marketplace designed for special lighting. Every once in a while, someone posts here saying they can't turn off exterior lights, so they are pulling off their battery cable at night to keep from running the battery down. Locate, and flip the switch to see if your lights will turn off. Hope this advise works!

It is that little pesky parking rocker type switch that is located on the top of the steering column just behind the steering wheel. I never use mine to know exactly what it is, or what it is suppose to be used for. It is prolly some sort of European or Japanese marketplace designed for special lighting. Every once in a while, someone posts here saying they can't turn off exterior lights, so they are pulling off their battery cable at night to keep from running the battery down. Locate, and flip the switch to see if your lights will turn off. Hope this advise works!

In Holland, Germany (and probably all other EU countries) when you have your car parked after sunset and outside residential zone of a village you need to have your lights one when the car is parked on or partialy on the road. Just to prevent people crashing into the parked car at night. You can either park it completely of the road (lights can be off) or install LED lamps for the tail and front markers so it wont kill your battery.

White (blue-ish) LED's are cool :grin:. Yes and there is the switch for.

YEP.............THE VIRGIN SWITCH

Did that one once !

~Howard

:grin:

yeah, me too.

I hit it whilst doing some behind the dash switch/gauge/installation.

I thought I had screwed something up with my wiring and pulled it all back apart to try and repair.

It wasn't till I started pouring over FSMs to look for a possible mistake, that I saw the switch in the diagrahm. Theeeeeeeen I remembered the switch on the column!

I was frantically preparing for a 2000 mile spur of the moment cross country trip. I guess it made me forget about the switch, which I knew ful well was there, just didn't connect the dots.