Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey everyone.

I'm big into jeeps, and my built Cherokee is getting to be too much for a daily driver. I've always really liked Subarus and now I'm looking to get one so I can have something practical, comfortable and fun to drive. I have about $8k to spend and I'm looking for a 99-02 Impreza 2.5 RS, Legacy Outback (Wagon or Sedan) or a Legacy GT (Wagon or Sedan).

It looks like you guys have some really good info here, and I was wondering if you had any advice of things I should be aware of or look out for when purchasing one of these cars. Any parts that commonly fail? Will there be different motors (aside from the H6 option in the Legacy) and such look (or look out ) for? Any input or advice will be well appreciated, and I hope to join the club soon!

Hi Drew. Welcome to the Subaru world! You will be very happy! The things to definitely look out for on the years and models you specified would be head gasket repairs and timing belt changes. The 2.5 is a good engine, but unfortunately the head gaskets are the most notorious enemies for this engine. Check to see if the head gaskets have been replaced. Also make SURE if you find a Sub with over 100,000 miles the timing belt has been replaced. If you can find a Subaru within those years that has not had head gaskets replaced, I would haggle the seller down and use the savings to replace the head gaskets and various other components. You can easily find a good mechanic and OEM parts for under 1,500 to do the job. Or you can jump in and do the job yourself! Changing timing belts every 100k and regular oil changes are the keys to keeping a Subaru long running.

Thanks, that's very helpful info! Head gaskets and timing belts I'd be able to do myself, so that works out well. I'll also be sure to try the "figure 8" test as mentioned in other threads. The only downside is that Subaru's are hard to find in NC, there are only ever a few for sale at any given time, so I may have to be patient. :burnout:

I'm going to check out a 2002 Legacy Outback with the H6 motor and 97K. Anything I should know about the H6 or how it compares to the 4cyl in terms of reliability and longevity?

Thanks

The EZ30 motor uses a chain instead of a belt. They are suppose to last the life of the motor but if you ever have trouble, the timing chain cover is 59 bolts. That's about the only downside I can think of off the top of my head.

so far they seem like better motors from what others are saying. no piston slap or head gasket issues to speak of. but not many are out there and they're not hitting the markets much yet. based on reviews and what is making it to online forums i would prefer these over an EJ25.

I have never had a problem with my first Subie.....it was always reliable. I do not know what your region's weather is like, but here I have snow and rain and my Subie has never skidded when I have seen SUVs skid on roads. Welcome to the world of Subies....you will not be disappointed in whichever type of Subie you get. I am on my 2nd one and I am loving it.