Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello All

As the name says I'm a noobie to soobies haha... um... Live in Fort worth And i Drive a 1981 Subaru DL 5 speed manual 2wd...(i was told 4wd but it looks like only the front two wheels get any engine power) that i bought for 500 bucks and had to put paint and one seal in the carb to make drivable I'm pleased with it... i juat have a heavy right foot and not quiet enough power to satisfy so you'll see alot of performance questions from me, other then that I'll give the help i can but I'm not an expert by far

Welcome to the board.

Tip off on the 2WD is the 5 speed transmission (and lack of a rear differential); Subaru never made a 4WD drive 5 speed for the early EA81 cars. However, a number of members with a 4WD car have managed to install the later 5 speed transmission with good success.

However, your 5 speed will get you better gas mileage than the 4WD model; not a bad idea with the current gas prices.

They dont unless someone has converted it to 5 speed (a few members have done this). The only way the brat came from the factory was 4 speed single range (not sure of the cutoff years/model for this (DL?) ) 4 speed Dual range or 3 speed auto single range.