Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Getting a soob soon, and making plans

My girlfriend is going to be selling me her soob (87 GL, carbed, 3at, 4wd) as soon as I get my first paycheck (woot!), and I've got to get it inspected to switch it to an Oregon title. I need to replace the windshield, since theres a crack going from one side to the other. The previous owner removed all the emissions crap, and I need to replace it all, and I was wondering if someone could tell me what parts are needed. I need to do a motor swap, since the current one leaks and burns oil. What are the inspection people going to be looking for?

As soon as I get it switched to an Oregon title, I'm going to be fixing everything thats wrong with this car, doing a 5 speed d/r swap, and possibly an ej swap. I'll post questions as I go, since I need to take this project one step at a time.

My girlfriend is going to be selling me her soob (87 GL, carbed, 3at, 4wd) as soon as I get my first paycheck (woot!), and I've got to get it inspected to switch it to an Oregon title. I need to replace the windshield, since theres a crack going from one side to the other. The previous owner removed all the emissions crap, and I need to replace it all, and I was wondering if someone could tell me what parts are needed. I need to do a motor swap, since the current one leaks and burns oil. What are the inspection people going to be looking for?

As soon as I get it switched to an Oregon title, I'm going to be fixing everything thats wrong with this car, doing a 5 speed d/r swap, and possibly an ej swap. I'll post questions as I go, since I need to take this project one step at a time.

I have a feeling the only thing the DMV insepection is about is verifying that the VIN on the CAR matches the title. There are no real emmissions requirements in Corvallis. And that is only required when a car is being titled for the first time here from another state.

If you want to have it looked over and get some advice on whats needed you should drop on by my shop.

yes. only Portland and Medford have emissions testing or any sort of vehicle inspections. however, Police can write you tickets if your glass is too badly cracked and how bad is at their descretion. you'll most likely just be a cop magnet.

yes. only Portland and Medford have emissions testing or any sort of vehicle inspections. however, Police can write you tickets if your glass is too badly cracked and how bad is at their descretion. you'll most likely just be a cop magnet.

+1 for the emmisions

+1 for cop magnet + 20x multiplier because you're in Corvallis.

Corvallis is outside the DEQ boundary and will not require an emissions test. The VIN inspection (if they bother - often they do not on very old vehicles such as yours) will be $7 and is performed by a DMV employee. They walk out to the car and look at the VIN on the dash - nothing more.

In other words - you don't need to make any changes to the car at all.

GD

Police can write you tickets if your glass is too badly cracked and how bad is at their descretion. you'll most likely just be a cop magnet.

I've only been threatened with this. Been stopped over a dozen times - many of them on the same car - NEVER once have I been written for the windsheild being cracked. If you aren't an rump roast to the cop, and you tell them you intend to fix it as soon as you have the money they won't write you. The ticket is too small, too easy to avoid paying (show a receipt [even if you make it in excel yourself :lol: ] and it's dropped), and their reason for stopping you was to see if they could find something BIG to ticket you for - uninsured, suspended license, ect. They would rather you NOT fix it so they have a reason to pull you over any time they choose.

If you keep your paperwork in order, drive within the laws, and treat the cops with respect you'll be fine never fixing it. Even if you get stopped by the same cop and he writes you for it being cracked you make up a receipt in excel and get the ticket dropped. If the same cop pulls you over a third time after you supposedly fixed it - well you work next to a gravel factory and $hit happens - they can't/won't bother to disprove you - it's not worth their time.

GD

Corvallis is outside the DEQ boundary and will not require an emissions test. The VIN inspection (if they bother - often they do not on very old vehicles such as yours) will be $7 and is performed by a DMV employee. They walk out to the car and look at the VIN on the dash - nothing more.

In other words - you don't need to make any changes to the car at all.

GD

Thanks for the input, that will make things a LOT easier for me

i was in corv. the other day it sucked. i pulled up to a cop to as for directions and the one he was talking to pulled away in a hurry spun around behind me got out and started yelling at me for pulling up to the car. stupit ************ers IMO and then the fuel pump went out. so just another fun thing to do in Oregon. but i got my new(to me) windshield and am bringing my hatch to my house tomrow :) YAY.