Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just installed new struts on the Outback, discovered I had one bad ball joint due to a cut boot cover.

I'm not familiar with who makes OEM parts for Subaru's, so from the link below which one should I order? Also, how hard is it to replace the ball joints? I have to take the car to get aligned anyhow, should I just let the shop change it?, Thanks

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1270022,parttype,10070,a,Ad%20Code%20FRc1270011k1291248,EPIsubcategory%5B159%5D,Lower%2BBall%2BJoint,partGroup,27

"from the link below which one should I order?"

I am a fan of OEM and the price for the Subaru part (21067GA050) is a great price.

"how hard is it to replace the ball joints?"

I have attached the FSM procedure for ball joint replacement, you make the call. It's not difficult but you will be fighting 10 years of Ohio winters.

very easy to replace...if you don't have any rust to deal with. if you have rust be ready to have a good set of tools, a torch, lots of PB blaster, Liquid Wrench or Deep Creep (WD40 is not a suitable alternative).

i've never got an alignment after replacing a ball joint and have never had a problem. just make sure you mark the top strut mount bolt, it's an eccentric bolt and is used for alignment. you'll realize what i mean when you pull it out. so mark it with a marker so you can install it exactly as it is. mark the relation of the bolt head to the strut body. (don't mark the nut or washer, those don't matter!). do that and no alignment necessary.

i always keep my eyes on my tires....being a 4WD subaru they need to be rotated anyway, if any ever start wearing unevenly then and only then do i get an alignment....and i've never gotten an alignment in like my last 200,000+ miles of subaru driving. totally uneccessary unless you're taking apart very specific things that rarely come apart. alignments are a big scam in all reality.