Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Outback Wagon Ltd

I've looked thru the tire threads here and can't find much said about michelins.

Costco has the Michelin Primacy MXV4 for about $150 more per set than a local tire place wants for Kumho Solus kh16's. The Kumhos are talked about here with mixed reviews with the negatives mainly being about handling in snow. I dont' see much snow here in Charleston SC so that's not much of a concern (though I occasionally find myself in Asheville). I'm want quiet tires; hate road noise.

Anyone with the Michelin experience?

Thanks,

John

I have Michelin tires on both of my Subies, both OBWs. I bought both cars used, and the cars were already equipped with them. I don't know which model Michelin's they are. Both ride quiet enough. In my opinion and experience, Michelin makes an excellent tire, however, they always seem to be the most expensive to purchase.

You mention the Kumho Solus, and from what I have read and seen, they are an excellent value for the money. At my suggestion, my daughter put a set of Kuhmos on her VW Jetta a couple of years back. They ride nice and quiet, and are holding up well. My one Subie is nearing tire replacement, so I will prolly go the Kumho route.

i have a set of kumho ecstas on my 96 legacy and as you mentioned i havent had much success with them in the rain or snow.........but for dry conditions they couldnt be better......:headbang:

Yeah, I gathered from what I read that the Ecstas were particularly bad in the snow and rain. The Solus seem to be more well liked on that score. I don't race around a whole lot but probably drive faster than average and I don't want tires that can't handle rain.