Ultimate Subaru Message Board

More Questions. Answers Please...

I know some of you know the answer to this question. just havent been able to get any hard evidence or facts...

- What is the DIFFERENCE between an XT EA82T and a regular GL10 EA82T motor? I thought that the cam profiles are different, not a big concern there. What about the pistons? The dish in the top of the pistons are there, but has two indentations on the side of the dish. Are all turbo pistons like this?

- What is a Vortex motor? Ive read and read but it just talks about them not how to I.D. the motor.

- So I pulled my motor out of the GL10 and pulled an XT motor form the yard here. The donor car is 86 XT, had four wheel discs, turbo exhaust manifold. I know for sure its a Turbo block, the heads are dual port on top. The car/motor did not have a spyder intake on it. Whats the diffeence of the intakes? can i swap my wiring over to the XT intake and blot it on the 'good' motor?

Im sure I will have more questions soon. Thanks for reading and all input is appreciated.

Roger

I know some of you know the answer to this question. just havent been able to get any hard evidence or facts...

- What is the DIFFERENCE between an XT EA82T and a regular GL10 EA82T motor? I thought that the cam profiles are different, not a big concern there. What about the pistons? The dish in the top of the pistons are there, but has two indentations on the side of the dish. Are all turbo pistons like this? The only difference will be between years. The 86 XT will have a flapper MAF, not the hotwire MAF.

- What is a Vortex motor? Ive read and read but it just talks about them not how to I.D. the motor. I believe a vortex was the outside the US name of an XT.

- So I pulled my motor out of the GL10 and pulled an XT motor form the yard here. The donor car is 86 XT, had four wheel discs, turbo exhaust manifold. I know for sure its a Turbo block, the heads are dual port on top. The car/motor did not have a spyder intake on it. Whats the diffeence of the intakes? can i swap my wiring over to the XT intake and blot it on the 'good' motor? If your GL-10 is a 1987.5 or newer, it's going to be a different wiring harness than the XT because they made an improvement with the system then. It'd be easier to swap your GL-10 manifold onto the engine. Are you trying to put the XT engine into your GL?

Im sure I will have more questions soon. Thanks for reading and all input is appreciated.

Roger

Answers in red.

- What is the DIFFERENCE between an XT EA82T and a regular GL10 EA82T motor? I thought that the cam profiles are different, not a big concern there. What about the pistons? The dish in the top of the pistons are there, but has two indentations on the side of the dish. Are all turbo pistons like this? compression is 7.7:1 on both turbo engines, so pistons are all the same. however the XT turbo is rated (from 87 on) at 110hp vs. GL-10 EA82T wagons rated at 115hp

- What is a Vortex motor? Ive read and read but it just talks about them not how to I.D. the motor.

the only difference between an XT turbo motor (vortex to many other parts of the world) is that the air flow in and out of the XT turbo engines was slightly improved vs. standard EA82T's. the spider intake is the biggest and most visible difference, and the exhaust manifold will measure a very slightly larger inside diameter than a standard EA82T.

- So I pulled my motor out of the GL10 and pulled an XT motor form the yard here. The donor car is 86 XT, had four wheel discs, turbo exhaust manifold. I know for sure its a Turbo block, the heads are dual port on top. The car/motor did not have a spyder intake on it. Whats the diffeence of the intakes? can i swap my wiring over to the XT intake and blot it on the 'good' motor?

because of the MAF and wiring differences between the 86 and 87 mentioned by HTI, you'll want to use an 87 manifold, either finding one from an 87 XT turbo, or using yours

Roger

answers in blue (this is fun!!)

So the Vortex is just another name for the XT, kinda like the Liberty and Legacy? Same car basically, but minor differences.

I 'believe' the pistons are different. (Im going to take pics tonite of the two and post them tomorrow.) On my freinds GL10 Turbo Sedan (85/6) when we rebuilt it, the pistons were a solid dish on the top surface, as with another friends 86 Turbo Wagon. The pistons sitting in the XT motor in my house (yes in my house) are not solid dish all the way around. There are two groves opposite from each other.

Also the intake off the XT motor is NOT a spyder intake. It had a regular one like the stock intake like my 88 Sedans. (I dont have a wagon.) Also I CANT use the intake off of my motor because when I threw the rod it popped a hole in the intake too... :dead: AH! I have a spyder intake but thats it, no fuel rail or electrical. Working on a deal for two of them...

The cam towers are the exact same huh? Im going to have my brother take one of each (marked which is which) into work and measure the duartion and give me definite answer there...

Sorry so lenghty, but Im confused... HAHA. Thanks for the replies.

Sorry for the double post.

Yes this XT motor is going into my GL10, More specifics- My car is a 1988 GL10 Turbo Sedan, Full Time AWD with Diff Lock.

The Donor- 1986 XT Turbo. Not all XTs had the spyder intakes, didnt that style intake only come in 87? or ??

So I couldnt take my stuff off my intake with hole in the bottom and put it on the XT intake? I know the MAF sensors are different- well the Hotwire vs. Flapper deal...

Audiofile- Where did you find the h.p ratings? and what do you suppose makes the h.p rating different if they are the same motors? the cams?

Im all sorts of lost... someone who knows please set us straight. thanx

So the Vortex is just another name for the XT, kinda like the Liberty and Legacy? Same car basically, but minor differences.

I 'believe' the pistons are different. (Im going to take pics tonite of the two and post them tomorrow.) On my freinds GL10 Turbo Sedan (85/6) when we rebuilt it, the pistons were a solid dish on the top surface, as with another friends 86 Turbo Wagon. The pistons sitting in the XT motor in my house (yes in my house) are not solid dish all the way around. There are two groves opposite from each other.

Also the intake off the XT motor is NOT a spyder intake. It had a regular one like the stock intake like my 88 Sedans. (I dont have a wagon.) Also I CANT use the intake off of my motor because when I threw the rod it popped a hole in the intake too... :dead: AH! I have a spyder intake but thats it, no fuel rail or electrical. Working on a deal for two of them...

I'm just going to list some answers

XTs did not get spyder intake til mid 87.

2, you can use the intake from the XT, just swap you're harness along with the Knock sensor, and TPS.

IN 86, all turbo CAMS were the same GL, RX, or XT. Actually the same crappy cam as the Carbed cars for 85,86. No letter, no marking groove.

You're 88 cams will be better, free breathing. Non-turbo XTs from 87 1/2 onward have an even longer duration Cam. But as I said, yuo're best bet is to keep you're 88 GL10 Cams, especially since that's what you're 88 ECU's program is based on.

In 87, there where some small changes made to the pistons. One of which is offseting the wrist pin 1mm off center to the thrust side to fight piston slap. Because of this, pistons are not swappable form side to side, and must have the correct side up.

But it sounds like you are describing the valve recess notches. They have been present on every EA82T piston I've ever seen.

So the Vortex is just another name for the XT
no - it's what the XT is called in other countries.

I 'believe' the pistons are different. (Im going to take pics tonite of the two and post them tomorrow.)
they may look different but be identical in every significant way.

Also the intake off the XT motor is NOT a spyder intake.
yes, it had to be because you said a 1986 XT. those didn't have spyder intakes. not until 1987 did they come with spider intake.