Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Last night I locked both sets of keys in my 98 O/B..:-\ ..(1st time in about 20 yrs I've locked my self out of a car).

I had always thought that because there were no frame around the window it would be easy to reach in with a coat hanger and hit the unlock button....BZZZ......WRONG !!

I finally called the local tow truck guy...he showed up with a neat little invention,(maybe you've all seen it before....I hadn't). He put a little plastic wedge between the glass and the rubber, just enough to slip in a bladder from a sphygmometer,(blood pressure thing that goes around your arm). He pumped it up until the glass was about 1/4" away from the rubber and then slipped in a small metal rod long enough to reach the unlock button.....and presto!

45 seconds and $20 later it was unlocked.

good luck on getting rid of the wind noise after he "sprung" the window glass.

No problem there. He only moved it about 1/4 inch. Been on the highway since..still quiet,(or as quiet as can be for 350,000 kms).

Women have an advantage here - we can hide a key in our wallets, our purses, and in *some* other places.

I can't advocate hiding a key on the car, though, as most car thieves know where to look. One suggestion I use myself: get an airline lanyard or one similar. You can get them on eBay - search 'airline lanyard' and look for your favorite carrier. Or your favorite manufacturer - I've seen Boeing and Airbus.

The proper kind have sturdy metal snap closures and safety clasps on the back of the neck so the lanyard will break away if you snag yourself on something. Nearly all airline ones have these features. If I'm at a gas station my keys are literally around my neck. If I'm getting out of the car, ditto. They go around my neck as soon as they are removed from the ignition. Until I am inside the store or house, they STAY THERE.

I've gotten a few funny looks for my bright red Virgin Atlantic lanyard, when I forget to stow it in my pocket after entering a store, but who cares? A key call is expensive, either for the locksmith or the repairs if the opening is bungled.

I suggest a bright color - if it's missing from your neck, you'll notice it at once. Let them stare! It's better than that sinking 'oh, no' feeling.

I did this just this morning with the SVX. Grabbed my house keys, but thought I had the car keys and realized when I got inside the house that *crap..I'm a retard*. Hocrest was kind enough to give me a ride to the dealer. I gave them my VIN, they had no records of my VIN and one of the guys went in the back, made a few calls to SOA (he was some big wig there) and he got my key code...I now have car keys scattered around between friends and places:clap:

• 3 years later...

Also had it once. Take a long metal flat bar like a ruler, and screw a bolt and nut in the hole on the end. Pry between the rear window (there are somewhat looser) and poke the lock/unlock button. Sorry to say but frame-less subarus are very easy to break open.

Still wondering why one thief had to smash the lock out and make a lot of damage :mad:

Yeah, those wedges are cool, but to be honest, there was a period when I was rather inebriated, rather often, and I locked my keys in so often I could bend a hanger now almost in my sleep to the right proportions. It can be done, you just need one with the proper stiffness and it takes like two bends, one opposite then back to the knob.

Voila!:headbang:

I just wedge a butter knife between the glass and black plastic around the door and then slide a coat hanger in with the hooked part first and unlock the door not by the button but the manual switch. I've done it like five times and it's actually pretty scary how easy our cars are to break into.

Last month I locked the Only key in my '97 Outback, while it was Running! All the windows were Up and I did the same thing, I used a screwdriver to pry the passenger window away from the rubber, and after pounding flat a old socket rail, I was able to slip that in, work it forward between the seem, and press on the switch that rolls the window down.

It took me a minute to come up with the idea, but once I did, I was in in just a couple minutes. The best thing was, as I pounded flat the socket rail, it actually 'curved' on it's own to almost the perfect arc so I could reach the window switch with the end of it. Pure luck. And, no damage to the window or molding.

I have done this once, went 45 iles to get my car to realize i forgot the key. A wooden doorstopper wedge works great. I find it easiest to do the back door window. The trick is to get your elbow through the door, and then you can reach the handle on the inside.

My buddy locked himself out of of his SVX, and i had some junkyard subaru keys, tht one of them actually worked to unlock the door.

I have had to help jimmy john's drivers unlock the car after lbeing locked out wit the car running. I was successful on a toyota rav 4 using a wooden dowel and a wedge.

another driver locked herself out of a grand prix. She left the window down about a half inch, and i picked a stiff weed from the side of the road and unlocked the button through the window.

one time i eas successful in fishing the keys out of the driver seat with a coat hanger in another instance long ago.