Ultimate Subaru Message Board

MSD ignition on EA81?

I want to do away with the Disty on my EA81. I was thinking an MSD ignition like the MSD 6A. But from all that I've just read they seem to still use the disty, just controls the coil a little better and more power. But if the disty gets wet its still screwed like before. I was thinking more along the lines of putting 2 or 4 coils on and having a completely computer controlled ignition running on a crank sensor, some what like the EJ's do. I'm waiting to be a member on the MSD forum but hoping someone here that someone has done something similar with a little knowledge could help me out?

More research has showed up that MSD 6 unit really isn't going to do what I want. The one that will is the DIS-2 which costs way too much.

I want programmable timing and advance. And can control 2 or 4 coils for independent ignition per plug.

Any suggestions on other brands to look at?

I've run a EJ22 Brat in the past, I don't want EFI, it pisses me off. My carby engine never broken down and left me stranded. I do see the benifits of EFI, but the cost, setup time, tuning and possible problems when everything goes under water puts me off. Plus all the issues my EJ gave me.

I have plans for dual webers anyhow.

I've been looking at the Megajolt though. Looks like what I want and need. But I need to find out if ford used EDIS in Australia on any 4 cylinder cars. Over the years when ford used EDIS we didn't get many (or any?) 4 cylinder fords that I know of.

did you check RAM and see what they use? that might be a start.

Plus all the issues my EJ gave me.
My carby engine never broken down and left me stranded
there are loads of people that would say the complete opposite. a swap is way overkill for something you have a solution to but to stay factual, it's in your best interest to think about what caused that to see if those instances are really indicative of EJ/EFI or possibly something else.

there are loads of people that would say the complete opposite. a swap is way overkill for something you have a solution to but to stay factual, it's in your best interest to think about what caused that to see if those instances are really indicative of EJ/EFI or possibly something else.

What caused it was a lack of $800 that I was willing to spend on new sensors and a rebuild. I don't have a job per say right now so money is the biggest issue. Doing a full EFI conversion to an EA81 is pointless in my mind, you may as well spend that little more on an EJ which is EFI already and bigger and more power. I just want to solve the stupid disty problem EA81's have with an electronic ignition.

You can run a MegaSquirt as an ignition only controller, it will also be able to datalog your sensors like that. There is also a product called "MegaJolt" that it basically a programable EDIS controller.

A lot of the big V8 guys run a crank fired ignition with a carb.