Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm trying to help a buddy of mine get his car ready for oregon trail rally tomorrow and need help with any ideas at this point.

basically what we did was tear down a turbo legacy harness just to make his engine run. it's a long story about a botched stand alone ecu. but he is just looking to go to stock right now.

this is the story i got from him, it starts and idles great, but as soon as you try to give it gas it bogs out and dies. he said it's smells like it's running rich. i am heading his way to see what i can do to help him. but any ideas would be great, at this point we are willing to try anything.

has all new plugs and wires and assuming everything is hooked up right give me some ideas.

i might have mentioned this before but to see if the MAF is indeed faulty give her a tap with the butt end of a screwdriver with the engine running....if the cars bogs or stalls than the MAF is faulty......i also had a friend with a problem like this....it turned out to be his coil pack.......

well it ended up being something we just couldn't figure out. i had to toss in the towel at 12:30 this morning. hell i still got to pack up my car and go play in the woods.

we took it over to a guy that knows turbo legacy really good. he was stumped too.

just not enough time to really figure it out.

but thanks for all the good info

It sounds like the TPS has been messed with. If the paint marks on the screws arent aligned anymore thats even more the case. I wouldnt even try messing with getting it setup right again, just get another TBI from the junkyard from a known running one or at least one that doesnt have any indicator ofbeing messed with(adjust attempts).

Its one that wont throw a CEL too.

Really should make sure the CEL is hooked up though. See if codes exist, pull them, etc. It may have a major problem with ecu or similar and be going to limp mode immediately.

If its been running a stand alone ECU setup...im thinking most of them dont run MAF sensors. Has anyone tried unhooking the MAF and running it then?

On my current Legacy turbo build (havnt mentioned it to you guys yet :grin: ) after getting it back together, i tried starting with the MAF out of the airflow and it would idle but die as soon as ya rev it. Unplugged the car ran fine.

So if someone botched up a stand alone ECU - theres a good chance they may have messed around with the MAF sensor wires as most stand alones ive seen just use a MAP sensor.