Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'03 Legacy GT EJ25 leaking oil on pass. side spark plug tubes?

Well it might have something to due with the drivers side headgasket was replaced for external leak issue by Subaru dealer. Now both pass. side seals between valve cover gasket and spark plug tubes is leaking oil.:confused:
You'd would think the person who did the headgasket would have put in new "well" seals???...anyway, I will be doing mine next week...its not that bad to do..remove the stuff to get at the plugs...4 plug "well" seals, 2 valve cover seals and 10 washers for the valve cover bolts and maybe some new plugs

You'd would think the person who did the headgasket would have put in new "well" seals???...anyway, I will be doing mine next week...its not that bad to do..remove the stuff to get at the plugs...4 plug "well" seals, 2 valve cover seals and 10 washers for the valve cover bolts and maybe some new plugs

Well they are leaking on the head the stealership DID NOT replace the HG on.;)

Those gaskets around the spark plug wells are prone to early failure, and the main cause is retarded techs that can't read a dipstick and put too much oil in when they change the oil.
I wonder if there is some truth to the above statement because the previous owner of my car said that at the first spark plug change there some leakage already at 30K mi...now at 60K they definitely need changing

They aren't hard to do, is it a twin cam or single cam? If its a twin cam, pull the valve covers first, and then pull the plugs out, they are easier to get to with the valve cover off. Should be able to get the gaskets at the subaru dealer.

The one sided head gasket repair stems from the fact that Subaru will only pay for the side that's leaking, so unless both sides are leaking, only one side will get replaced. (At my dealership we usually try and sell the customer the other side at the same time, since it's cheaper to do them both at the same time than it is to do one now and one later)

Check the oil pressure sending unit directly under the alternator with a flashlight. Mine was leaking a bunch. Not hard to tell, there will be a big pool of oil near it on the passenger side. If that's it, get a Subaru one, the aftermarket ones don't seem to have quite the same thread and leak.

Those gaskets around the spark plug wells are prone to early failure, and the main cause is retarded techs that can't read a dipstick and put too much oil in when they change the oil.

I think this is the cause we have had the STEALERSHIP techs overfill the crankcase three times on the car!!:mad: