Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question on EA81 exhaust

I think I know the answer to this but need a bit of confirmation from others who have tried it before. I want to replace the exhaust system on my other Brat from the y-pipe back to the muffler. Parts are a bit rare for the Brat, but I'm thinking that the parts from an EA81 wagaon ('83, '84) would be the same. Anyone done this and could confirm it?

I kind of asked the same thing here: http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=88908

that is, if it's the y-pipe you're talking about... seems there are subtle differences with the spacers, but those can be overcome as long as you have spacers, just in case...

nobody seemed to mention that a brat y-pipe wouldn't work on a wagon, and vice-versa...

however, for the pipe behind the y-pipe I'm not sure if it's a different length... I can measure my wagon later today, if you've still got enough brat exhaust to compare it to...

--Spiffy

Yea, if you can measure it that would be great. I have two Brats and I can compare what you get on the wagon to what I measure on the other Brat. I've got a OEM y-pipe (used of course) that I can install, but I don't have the rest of the system yet and I'm hoping the wagon exhaust interchanges with the Brat.

motion auto carries all of the bits and pieces you need.it depends if you are going stock or not.they carry all walker exhaust products.

i have switched ea82 y-pipes(a little bigger) onto ea81 cars,have swapped between wagon and brat as well.mounting is basically the same except for like one hook, and it is doable if you bend the hook(use mapp torch to heat up).cheers, brian

the only variations with exhausts is the mid pipe between 2wd and 4wd.

an ea82 y-pipe will work also, but it will hang lower then the ea81 with the spacer plates on the exhaust ports.

a full ea82 exhaust should all fit the same. otherwise there should be no difference between any ea81 y pipe, except for those that have an o2 sensor.

Oh, following the line of the exhaust or "As the crow flies" ?

as the crow flies... car was on the ground and I didn't have a helper... so that's my best estimation in a straight line from flange to flange...

--Spiffy