Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 EJ22 into 99 Forester EJ25 (long.....Help needed)

Ok so heres the skinny,

I have a friend who has a 99 forester with a bad motor, I took on the duty of fixing it and was going to swap a 95 Ej22 into it....well it cant be done, I bought the engine and brought it home soon to find out that they are not compatible due to wiring on the intake and sensors. I thought I would just swap intakes, once again can't be done.......bolt holes don't line up

SOoooooo

I go out and pick up a 99 EJ22 (phase 2) looks identical to the EJ25 that came out of it, Drop it in the car put everything back together it all goes perfectly smoothly everything bolts up and plugs right in.....

Turn the key and it will not fire just cranks, I keep attenpting to start it and get absolutely nothing....Run a code check on the Computer says the cam sensor is bad, I replaced it cleared the code tried starting it numerous more times and it is still telling me it is bad............

Upon further inspection, I see that the notches (teeth) on the back side of the cam sproket for the sensor are not in the same spots as they are on the 2.5? Possibly causing the bad cam sensor code???

Do I need to swap the sprockets? Or would that mess something up. Can a 2.2 even be swapped into a 99 phase 2 2.5?

Help me please.......I need to get this thing back to her.

Thanks very much in advance

~Tim

Ok so heres the skinny,

I have a friend who has a 99 forester with a bad motor, I took on the duty of fixing it and was going to swap a 95 Ej22 into it....well it cant be done, I bought the engine and brought it home soon to find out that they are not compatible due to wiring on the intake and sensors. I thought I would just swap intakes, once again can't be done.......bolt holes don't line up

SOoooooo

I go out and pick up a 99 EJ22 (phase 2) looks identical to the EJ25 that came out of it, Drop it in the car put everything back together it all goes perfectly smoothly everything bolts up and plugs right in.....

Turn the key and it will not fire just cranks, I keep attenpting to start it and get absolutely nothing....Run a code check on the Computer says the cam sensor is bad, I replaced it cleared the code tried starting it numerous more times and it is still telling me it is bad............

Upon further inspection, I see that the notches (teeth) on the back side of the cam sproket for the sensor are not in the same spots as they are on the 2.5? Possibly causing the bad cam sensor code???

Do I need to swap the sprockets? Or would that mess something up. Can a 2.2 even be swapped into a 99 phase 2 2.5?

Help me please.......I need to get this thing back to her.

Thanks very much in advance

~Tim

I say swap the sprockets. As long as the timing belt indexing mark is in the same relative position to the camshaft rotation, it can cause no harm. Worst case, the ECM gets a bad signal and it won't start or run right. I think I've heard of people swapping sprockets before. I'm sure others know more about this than I do.

Nathan

Hmmm I read the post....Thanks!

I wonder if that holds true for the EJ22 in comparison to the EJ25 since the guy in that thread was using a 2000 legacy motor I'd assume it was a 2.5?

Does anyone know if I swap the cam sproket from a 2.5 onto the 2.2 will it be ok?

Thanks again,

~Tim

I have to throw in one comment:

You kinda got lucky. Not only are there two cam/crank sprocket setups, but there are also two different timing belts to match those setups.

Since it's running perfectly, obviously you got lucky in the fact that they matched.

Had they not, you would have had a poorly running engine. At the worst, possibly some internal damage.

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

yep, swap cam sprockets. the notches on the back of the cam sprockets need to be where the computer expects them. for later models EJ25 computer needs to see EJ25 cam pulses.

there are also two different timing belts to match those setups.
could you elaborate on those differences? if the EJ22 and EJ25 tensioner/pulley set up is identical then it's as simple as matching the belt to the cam sprockets - EJ25 belt and sprockets. i have none at this time to look at.

it seem unlikely that as long as the marks are properly lined up there should be no reason for damage. of course i'd pay attention to where the old marks were and the new marks as well. but assuming the marks aren't off by any significant amount and the person doing it just ignores that, i can't see how damage would occur.

i've never heard of problems with swapping cams like this, but it's not that common either so my experience to date is anecdotal.