Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru's latest newsletter, stated, "All 2009 Subarus' will have Super Coolant," in place of the traditional green. It goes on to say something to the effect that it will last 11 years or 100k plus, before changing. Is this the same product as GM'S Dex Cool?

Any opinions on this? Any benefits for the old, well maintained Subaru?

I inquired about this by calling both SOA and a local dealer. The answers pretty much matched up. The new coolant does have a much longer exchange interval due to it's chemical composition in the anti-corrosion elements. But if using in a older Subaru, the recommendation is to still follow the 3 year 'drain and fill' schedule.

subaru states this coolant is to be used in the new models only

I would not recommend this coolant for older models as the components are not as advance.

Not saying it's going to cause damage, but I would not trust it for 100k miles in my 2001....

Jamie subiegal-smilie.png

I kind of suspect it is a oat/dexcool type coolant just based on the long service life claimed. If it is oat/dexcool type that is intesting since previously Subaru said on endwrench not to use that type of coolant in soobs. Trying to determine the new super coolant type is difficult since the ingredients are 'trade secret', as opposed to the older soob coolant.

new super coolant (thanks to Joe at cars101.com):

genuine-Subaru-super-coolant-ingredients.jpg

old Subaru coolant:

genuine-Subaru-coolant-ingredients.jpg

Sorry to utter the big no-no here, but Honda specifies 10 years/120 miles for the factory fill, then 5 years/60K miles thereafter. I noticed this doing some work on my sister's 2005 Pilot.

As for the long life coolant debate, I've been using Havoline Dex Cool in my 99 forester for the past 60K+ miles with no problems. I do replace the coolant approximately every 3 years/50K miles.

As far as I know, it's true that Dexcool does more readily react with pressurized air pockets. But I would argue that GM also has a quality control problem with their gaskets and seals, one that has been exacerbated by Dex Cool's chemical proclivities.

Maybe a plastic intake manifold bolted to an aluminum engine isn't such bright idea? Unless you also want to blame synthetic oil for leaky (plastic) rear separator covers, I am not convinced that Dex-Cool is the problem. People are running this long life (OAT) coolant in a lot of cars with no ill effects.