Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So, the girlie friend's 93 Legacy is getting roughly 17 mpg with 80% highway driving. Apparently, the typical mileage is 22-27.

I changed the oil and replaced the air filter last month. Last night we bought 4new plugs and a PCV Valve and I plan to put those in.

Since I'm new to Subies and only have experience with air-cooled VWs, normally I would replace the plugs / coil / cap / rotor / adjust valves, however, I'm not sure what is applicable for water-cooled 2.2.

Any recommendations?

yeah there's no cap and rotor.

EJ engines are not forgiving. best bet are stock NGK plugs and OEM Subaru ignition wires only. This is not true of all subaru motors, but this one in particular is best to not use after market wires on.

for your bad gas mileage:

how many miles?

automatic/manual - FWD/AWD

in addition to typical tune up stuff (plugs, wires, air filter, PCV, fuel filter):

O2 sensor is probably original - they need replaced by this age

brakes - you have disc all the way around. grease all the slide pins, they're probably dry by now.

how does said girlie friend drive...stomping on the accelerator, changing speeds, tail gaiting, heavy braking, never uses cruise control...all of these will kill mileage.

yeah there's no cap and rotor.

EJ engines are not forgiving. best bet are stock NGK plugs and OEM Subaru ignition wires only. This is not true of all subaru motors, but this one in particular is best to not use after market wires on.

for your bad gas mileage:

how many miles?

automatic/manual - FWD/AWD

in addition to typical tune up stuff (plugs, wires, air filter, PCV, fuel filter):

O2 sensor is probably original - they need replaced by this age

brakes - you have disc all the way around. grease all the slide pins, they're probably dry by now.

how does said girlie friend drive...stomping on the accelerator, changing speeds, tail gaiting, heavy braking, never uses cruise control...all of these will kill mileage.

valid questions and points.

1) manual - AWD. should have included this.

2) I imagine the original o2 sensor is still in place too. This would obviously hinder gas mileage.

3) I can replace the wires in addition.

4) she just had her front brakes pads + rotors replaced.

5) No cruise control, a little heavy on the gas, doesn't go too fast.

thanks for the help.

4) she just had her front brakes pads + rotors replaced.

that doesn't matter. they were probably done but a shop/mechanic and were pad slapped. they don't make any extra money taking the time to properly clean and grease the slides. more often than not that step is skipped. particularly from dealers and other mechanics...they're paid by job. the quicker they get done, the more money they make. they aren't paid per hour, or day.

i'd check the suggestions already made.....and probably somewhat in this order too: tune up, O2 sensor and regreasing the brakes will probably bring you up significantly. hope those end up helping you out!

the rear pads are discs brakes as well and have the same slide caliper pin set up.

• 3 years later...

my moms 93 legacy wagon has the same problem ,

new o2 sensor, pcv valve, temp sensor, wrecking yard purge control solenoid, and the check engine light went away then came back , then i accidently left it in a few days , and now after i unplugged it , the cel wont come back on ,

this really sucks i hear about people all the time that get 30 mpg in the same automatic station wagon with AWD

and my moms car is averaging like 15!!!

************TY ************TY ************ ************

please HELP!!

its been like this for 2 years atlest!

knock sensor ehh?

but it doesn't ping or knock??

doesnt matter if it actually knocks or not - if the knock sensor is old and cracked it can falsely lead the ecu into thinking the engine is pinging which the ecu then tries to correct for...

to both of you - check tire pressures REGULARLY - low tires will kill gas mileage very quickly! even just a few psi can make a big difference.

ideal pressure is in the neighborhood of 32-34 psi

also, tire compound can and does make a difference - a "softer" stickier tire will cause lower fuel mileage than a harder, less sticky tire.

I used to have some Cooper touring type tires - rather hard compound - got 29-30 mpg average - now have Kelly Discoverers on, softer compound but lower mileage - around 27 average...

i know for a fact tire pressure is good

Do you? when was it check last? today? yesterday? last week?

weather changes can and will affect tire pressures.

a high pressure weather system today will give a different reading than a low pressure system tomorrow.

Which is why i say check it regularly! at least once a week