Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Want to confirm history of "new" engine

Hi, I have searched extensively for info on engine serial numbers, but have found mixed answers.

I just had a used engine installed in my 1999 wagon. The mechanic says its a 50k engine. It runs a lot smoother than my old engine, no leaks...etc... but how can I be SURE it is, before my warranty expires?

I take it the serial #s are the ones on the rear driver's side (2.2L). Can you carfax engine #s?

If it can't be done, can I at least narrow it down to year?

Thanks,

Andrew

are you trying to verify the integrity of the engine? get this done:

leak down test

compression test

both very easy to do and won't take your mechanic any time at all.

if those pass...and considering this is an EJ22 you should be golden.

good luck - hope they turn out stellar (they probably will!)

since you sounds interested in keeping this car for awhile and making sure the engine is in good shape, ill give you some info on how i (well versed in subaru's) go about maintenance on my own cars and for others.

how old is the timing belt? i'd be MUCH more concerned about that than a car-fax. this is an interference engine, if the timing belt breaks then your engine will sustain internal damage = bad news.

being 10 years old the timing pulleys should be inspected, at least one will be devoid of grease. if you want a solid, reliable engine verify the timing belt has been replaced and the pulleys are inspected, personally i'd replace them all with an ebay timing belt kit so they are all new.

the water pump is 10 years old too. the next time the timing belt is removed i'd replace it. otherwise you're asking it to last how long 15+ years 150,000 miles - it can do it, but that's risky for reliability and a valuable vehicle.

that's how you get an easy 100,000 more miles out of this engine - addressing maintenance and wear items like that. i would never install a used engine without replacing all of those items myself. your mechanic may have installed a new belt, but probably nothing else.

Thanks for the input. There is no VIN that I can find... just a series of 10 or so #s imprinted in the driv-rear side, also some numbers printed on what looks like a label maker back there.

I had them put in a new timing belt- a little early, but I figured they might as well while its out. They said everything else looked good behind the timing cover, and that the engine seller does a whole round of testing before they sell.

It runs well too, so I guess I can't complain... just cost me an arm and a leg.

And all from a dry-rotted crank pulley... be warned! I've read a lot about timing belts on this site and haven't seen anything that mentions the possibility of drive belt problems leading to timing problems and wrecking engines... so here it is! In retrospect, I would have treated my drive belt/pulleys like a timing belt and had them changed preventatively.

Andrew

Andrew, exactly what happened to your engine? How did a failed crank pulley destroy your engine? A brief explanation would allow us all to learn from your experience. Sorry about the loss of your engine, it's an expensive ordeal.

How did a failed crank pulley destroy your engine?
Subaru crank pulleys typically have a thin rubber ring separating two metallic parts of the pulley. An inner and outer part of metal with a thin rubber ring between them. This rubber can separate from the metal - impact, damage during maintenance, time, age, etc.

As it begins to fail it's usually "wobbling" and a little offset, it can then wear into the timing covers and/or timing belt. From there any number of things can cause the timing belt to fail - like wearing through the belt or the pulley coming off and going into the belt, etc. On earlier engines, no big deal, replace the belt. On newer interference engines that means internal engine damage - usually bent valves but possibly more.