Ultimate Subaru Message Board

After experiencing intermittent non engagement of the starter when clutch pedal is depressed and engine is warm, I cleaned the battery terminals and connecters with a wire brush so that they're squeaky clean.

A voltmeter is now telling me that the battery current isn't up to par. The v-meter's yellow and red LEDs light up when engine is off and the digital readout is below 12 volts, 11 something.

Instument panel lights work as do all electrics. Starter has so far been working ok, since cleaning battery terminals and connecters.

I discovered that the battery connecter to the Positive terminal is somewhat loose; it just can't be tightened securely enough. It either swivels on the terminal or rocks slightly from side to side no matter how much I tighten the connecter's locking nut. I'm suspecting that the battery terminal may be slightly tapered making it difficult for the connecter to get a tight grip on it; I could be wrong.

The connecters are the original one's that came with the car and the battery was replaced not too long ago. Car has less than 75k miles on it.

Anyone have any hints about how I can successfully tighten the connecter. I don't want to have any more starter non engagement problems.

I've had a similar problem over the years and what I recall doing was to decrease the interior diameter of the battery terminal. As I recall I cut a half inch by 2 inch (or so) piece of metal from an old piece of galvanized house heating duct and bent it around the inside of the battery cable terminal connector. (I suppose you could use the metal from a tin can if you sand the varnish off of it first, or something similar that will conduct electricity well.) Open up the cable terminal to allow for the added metal, put the new ring of metal inside, place it on the battery post and then tighten it down snuggly. You should be good to go then. Good Luck.

Which model and year Subaru do you have? Besides the battery terminal, there is a connector in-line with the ignition switch that will cause the same symptoms (i.e. intermittant not starting); this cause is not miles related but age related and shows up on the early '80's models and has migrated to the late '80's cars (same connector). They still use the same connector in the early Imprezas and Legacies.

Off topic: My 10,000th post!!!

You can purchase a replacement end for the positive cable, part number for your car (I think) is 81608GA110. Or go to any of the online catalogs and do a search (use the collision catalog) and you will get something like this:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getLocator&siteid=214077&chapter=ARL7522&appSectionid=2413&groupid=2414&subgroupid=9504&make=32&model=Legacy&year=2000&catalogid=2

decrease the interior diameter of the battery terminal. As I recall I cut a half inch by 2 inch (or so) piece of metal from an old piece of galvanized house heating duct and bent it around the inside of the battery cable terminal connector. (I suppose you could use the metal from a tin can if you sand the varnish off of it first, or something similar that will conduct electricity well.) Open up the cable terminal to allow for the added metal, put the new ring of metal inside, place it on the battery post and then tighten it down snuggly. You should be good to go then. Good Luck.

Sounds good. I'll try and score a piece of scrap metal somewhere. Thanks

Which model and year Subaru do you have? Besides the battery terminal, there is a connector in-line with the ignition switch that will cause the same symptoms (i.e. intermittant not starting); this cause is not miles related but age related and shows up on the early '80's models and has migrated to the late '80's cars (same connector). They still use the same connector in the early Imprezas and Legacies.

Where exactly would the connecter be located in my 2000 GT wagon?

Battery terminal: How about shaving down the connector where the two ends come together. This will allow it to be tightened to a smaller diameter.

Sounds good. I may try filing it down some.

Where exactly would the connecter be located in my 2000 GT wagon?

Under the steering column;remove the plastic shroud under the steering column and if you follow the wiring from the ignition switch about 6 inches toward the front, it comes to a pink (sometimes white) plastic connector with 4 wires in and 4 out. If the plastic is discolored in the area around one of the wires (turns brown and then black) it indicates a bad connection there and that will cause a voltage drop there which generates heat and causes the intermittant failure of the starter to engage. I've seen this on the early cars and on some of the early '90s Legacies. I've never seen it on a 2000 car as yet and they might have changed this connector but it's an area to look at in the event that getting a better connection at the battery terminal doesn't solve your problem.