Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am going to replace the CMP sensor because when I place a little pressure on it while the engine is running, it dies and won't restart. I have to play around with it a little to get the car to start again.

Is this easy to change in a 96 Legacy sedan? A Chilton says to remove timing belt, cam sprocket and covers before removing the sensor. Is it really that much to do? It looks like just a retaining bolt, pull and replace. Is there a DIY that I can reference before getting my hands dirty?

Jay

you should have the 2.2 so really it is that easy. undo bolt replace. on my 2.5 if i remember right it helps to pull the valve covers.

worse case scenario would be pulling the valve cover, none of this pull timing cover and gear crap.

Is this easy to change in a 96 Legacy sedan?
yep!
A Chilton
eeewwww!!!
Is it really that much to do?
no.
It looks like just a retaining bolt, pull and replace.
that's it! don't you like good news?!
Is there a DIY that I can reference before getting my hands dirty?
not really anything to it, like you already figured out. it would be almost as complicated as a DIY for filling your water glass. don't sweat it, just ignore your Chiltonofcrap.

Hey, That was my question on that Wiki - nah, not really (Subaru with a V4?).

Thank for all the feedback. I have more confidence in myself to replace this. Eventhough the car has 145K miles I still want to keep her alive.

I know about the Chilton and that is why I questioned it here. But $1 @ garage sale sounded like a bargain to me. Guess I'm a little cheap to order the $75 CD manual.

I just received the part and will probably try the replacement this weekend between all the 4th BBQs.

You all have a great 4th of July celebration and I'll let you know how this went afterwards.

jay

• 2 weeks later...

Ok - that was a pathetically easy replacement. The head bolt of this 2.2L engine looks like it is in the way, but a twist of the sensor gave a little more clearance so to tilt it out. The new one went in as the old one came out. Torqued the retaining bolt to 36 ft-lbs.

As I removed the electrical connector, I noticed that one of the contacts was bent a little. Maybe this was my problem in the first place and I now have a used replacement part. Oh well it wasn't a overly priced part. I'm glad the car is back in order.

It seems to run a little better. I can't imagine that the signal from this sensor is directly amplified to provide spark plug juice. Ah - its probably psychological.

:burnout:

jay

Ok - that was a pathetically easy replacement.[...]
Yeah!:clap: Chilton's can make an easy job seem overly complicated, but they also sometimes do the reverse. There's nothing quite like taking something apart only to find that the next step requires a tool you don't have handy, or having a procedure sound much less complicated than it is. It reminds me of a joke a friend tells about home improvement books; the project is adding a second story to a house -- first step, "Remove roof and temporarily set aside." :)

I can't imagine that the signal from this sensor is directly amplified to provide spark plug juice.[...]
Not directly, but it's used to trigger timing of control circuitry.