Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Forrester 06: I was driving for 1 mile, coughs three times and stalls. Cranked, turned over but couldn’t start. Flatbed it back home, error codes are P0303 and P0404. The evening before I was refilling gas from a jerrycan, as I often do. The gas was about 3 month old and I am sure the can was closed tightly. I can’t believe my stored gas has done this, but this coincidence makes me doubt. The car is still under waranty, but it is a big hassle to go through that if it is not absolutly necessary. I also disconnected the battery for a few hours but that didn’t help. Also checked all fuses.:mad:

Anybody with an idea?

Thanks

i've heard people say that the "shelf life" of gas is 28 days, but i've also seen cars sitting for a long time start up.

seems to me you need to rule out the gas first. fill up with good gas, maybe add some water drying solution to it. i'd probably look to refill from a pump if possible.

if that does nothing then warranty time it is. you didn't mention how many miles were on the car?

Your car is relatively new, but sometimes repeatedly running the fuel low can clog a fuel filter with sediment from your fuel tank. Unless Subaru changed the location, it is located next to the left (driver's) side strut tower behind the wiper fluid reservoir.

P0303 code indicates misfire on cylinder 3

P0404 indicates malfunction of the EGR valve (Do the newer Subes have

one?)

If, on the other hand, you meant P0304, then this is code for a misfire in cylinder 4.

Otherwise, it's good to check the usual suspects: ignition wires & spark plugs.

live away from gas stations, and so I keep a reserve 25-litre can of gas in my garage.

I've never had a problem with this 'old' gas. Sometimes it is 6-months old when I use it, and it works just fine.[/Quote]

If you're storing that much gas for extended periods of time, it can't hurt to use some fuel stabilizer, which claims to keep fuel fresh for up to 12 months.

I store my motorcycle with a full tank of stablized fuel, which I also run through the carbs before each winter. There's no need even to drain the float bowls. It's been a busy couple of years, but ast week, I finally took my bike out of storage after over two years. It fired right up.

Ethanol is more volatile than gas, absorbs moisture, and has certain solvent properties that gas doesn't. Gas with "only" 10% ethanol doesn't store as well as what you could get before reformulation. Even a "sealed" storage can has a vent, and especially with evaporation, expansion and contraction due to temperature changes will release the more-volatile parts and allow moisture in. If the can was made before ethanol was common in gas, it may be affected chemically by it. If gas previously stored in the can left gummy deposits, ethanol can dissolve them.

Here's one biased but interesting source:

http://www.starbrite.com/whatsnew/STAR%20BRITE%20ethanol%20p3072D2.pdf