Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ABS Light 1995 Legacy Outback - Checking Codes - Pics!

Hi All - been a while since I've posted. The ABS light in our 1995 Legacy Outback came on - so I came to USMB! I found the method to check the ABS codes, but my Legacy appears to be different.

I was trying to check the codes using this:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4065&d=1154383816

But my setup looks like this:

ABSConnector1.jpg

ABSConnector2.jpg

I don't seem to have the diagnostic terminals - unless that's what those two green things are. I know that when connecting the two green terminals, the check engine light flashes, and it goes into some diagnostic mode, but this is different than the ABS.

Anyone know how to check the codes on a 1995 Legacy Outback?

I'm stumped.

I also checked over by the fuses for a two terminal conenctor, but none is present.

Thanks very much!

-Joe

http://www.lovehorsepower.com//SubaruDocs/subaru_page.htm

Hi All - been a while since I've posted. The ABS light in our 1995 Legacy Outback came on - so I came to USMB! I found the method to check the ABS codes, but my Legacy appears to be different.[...]

Look at http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/ABS.pdf , and verify which system you have -- it's likely to be ABS-2E. The article has info on locating ABS diagnostic connectors.

Thank you for your reply. Yes - I've read through that document, but I still cannot find the connector to use. That doc says:

Enter ABS system diagnostic mode by jumpering terminal L in the ABS

check connector to body ground. Check the schematic in the service manual

to identify terminal L.

Note: Some models have a grounding lead attached to the check connector.

I don't know which one is terminal L, and I'm leary about trying to just ground those pins, and hoping for the best!

Thanks for any ideas!

-Joe

Thank you for your reply. Yes - I've read through that document, but I still cannot find the connector to use.[...]

I don't know which one is terminal L, and I'm leary about trying to just ground those pins, and hoping for the best!

You're welcome.

By all means, don't ground random pins in connectors. :eek:

Here's some Subaru-specific ABS diagnostic info:

http://www.auto-diagnostic-codes.com/ABS-Brakes/Japanese-Korean/Subaru-ABS.html

Click on "Use This Connector" for details in each case.

See the attached diagram for pin identification of the 6-pin (usually black) diagnostic connector.

post-15889-136027628719_thumb.jpg

95 = pre-OBD-II

I have done plenty of cars with OBD2 that were 95's. OBD2 was incorperated in 94 with it being federally mandated in 96 for all makes.

Subaru wasnt a early one I guess. My bad.

I just checked my scanner (Snap-On Solus), and it says to use the MULTI-1 adapter which has 7 prongs (OBD-1) that you just plug in. I would guess it is the grey plug in the picture with the 7 slots for ABS testing through the OBD system.

I believe the ABS TCM uses a black 6 prong connector though for just ABS (no OBD engine stuff)

here is a link for self testing ABS on Subies. There are 2 connectors appearantly as there were 2 differant systems used. pick your connector style (looks to be the black one) and follow the instructions. Click the use this connector link for either style 23, or 24.

http://www.auto-diagnostic-codes.com/ABS-Brakes/Japanese-Korean/Subaru-ABS.html

Gee, that link looks amazingly familiar. Maybe that's because its the one I gave in post #4, above, in this thread. :)

LOL, I just did a quick search on google and thats what I found.

Double posted links mean verified help.

I have done plenty of cars with OBD2 that were 95's. OBD2 was incorperated in 94 with it being federally mandated in 96 for all makes.

Subaru wasnt a early one I guess. My bad.

Since this is a Subaru board, I was speaking specifically of Subaru.

Of course GMs and Fords had OBD II earlier, they are the ones that forced that crap on the rest of the worlds manufacturers. Subaru(and other Japanese and european companies) had already been leading Computerized Engine Management design for years. Subaru's pre-OBDII stuff is far more effective at helping the tech actually find a problem. OBD-II reeks of GM's rediculous tendancy towards redundancy, and identifying the symptom, not the culprit.

That is why the Big Three (2, Chrysler is a joke now) had to get OBDII mandated. They had to level the playing feild. Unfortunately, by lowering it.