Ultimate Subaru Message Board

05 2.5 DBW convert to DBC

HillbillyLes

I realize this isn't necessarily an Impreza board but I have been a member for several years since the Ozified wagon and I know there are some pretty sharp and experienced Soobites here, besides I'm not getting much help at some of the other forums....Additionally the question will no doubt be come up here at some point when someone decides to put a newer EJ into and older EA car...

I have a 98 Impreza RS. I am exchanging the 98 Phase 1 (DOHC) EJ25 for a newer 05 Phase 2 (SOHC) EJ25 (from an RS). I didn't realize when I bought the engine that it was drive by wire. In order to keep the exchange simple and inexpensive, I wondered if anyone has had to convert a new Drive by Wire back to the older and more standard Drive by Cable?

Will my older intake/TB fit the newer engine? I am sure it will but not sure enough to tear it apart, just yet without some research.

Can I swap my tb onto the new intake and engineer a cable bracket mount (PITA)?

Ideas from experience??

I am not interested in doing a DBW conversion to my 98.

Thanks,

HbL

the intakes will not swap. i do not know but i would install the 98 intake manifold wiring harness onto the 2005 intake manifold. which is what i think you're considering doing since you mentioned swapping throttle bodies. i can't say whether they interchange or not but since you already have them both can't you have a look at them?

i wouldn't concern myself with the DBW conversion either. doesn't seem to be much gains to be had there considering the effort involved.

Since I plan on either doing a turbo kit to the 2.5 or doing a WRX/STi/Forester XT swap at some point in the future when the money is available and since this is my daily driver so more down time than absolutely necessary is NOT OK, I really just want to get this going with the least amount of time, money, and mods so doing a DBW conversion wasn't even being considered.

The only prob with putting my TB on the 05 intake (assuming it will fit) is that since there is no cable now, there is no way to mount the throttle cable bracket without a fair amount of engineering and I don't have access to machine shop or other "manufacturing" resources to come up with something and make it look stock or at least decent which is why I was thinking a MY 01-04 drive by cable intake primarily so I would have somewhere to mount the cable bracket.

Yes, I will want to use my engine harness when it is all said and done to prevent any possible "can't figure it out" or CEL issues.

Les

• 2 weeks later...

I know the problem and how to solve it....intake and cable operated TB from a n 01-04 Naturally aspirated 2.5 SOHC engine.

Problem is finding one...seems there are early DOHC intakes from broken engines all over but can't seem to find anyone with a SOHC intake they are willing to part with. (2004 was the transition year for the drive by wire..electronically controlled throttle...so some in 04 are what I need which is 'drive by cable' and some are what I have which is 'drive by wire')'

Les