Ultimate Subaru Message Board

02 Impreza, weird dragging/binding feeling in front end

I have a 2002 Impreza Outback Sport, 4EAT, 96,200 miles. I've noticed a sound/vibration coming from the front lately. It feels like something in the drivetrain is going. It feels like something is dragging during acceleration and braking, accompanied by a very low even huuuuuummmmm sound.

The ATF was replaced a few months ago when the dealership repaired an old recall on the "park rod lever", or something like that.

I know it's not anything to do with the brakes, so maybe it's a wheel bearing or something in the front diff?

Any speculation or knowledge is much appreciated. I'm not going to be able to daignose or fix it on my own, I just want to have a better understanding of the problem before I attempt to have someone else fix it.

Wheel bearing? After driving for a bit and experiencing said issues (particularly the dragging) - get and out feel both front wheels. If a wheel bearing (or even brakes) are bad one side may be significantly hotter than the other...even to the point of turning red and smoking if it gets really bad. A quick touch on each side might help narrow it down.

Does it feel like it pulls to one side when it's doing this?

Does it sound like it's on one particular side?

What's the history of CV axles on this car - have they ever been replaced?

How do you know it's not brakes?

As far as I know,they are the original axles.

The ATF was clean and at the right level when I checked it a week ago.

I'm assuming it's not the brakes because they had just been done when I bought the car.

I'm also pretty familiar with the sound of a stuck caliper.:)

It definitely doesn't pull to one side, either driving or braking. It feels like the noise/vibration is right in the center of the car.

I'll check the wheel bearings this weekend, as I'm replacing the front passenger side strut on Saturday.

why are you replacing the strut? Struts can cause very bad vibrations and noises (just replaced mine for those reasons a couple weeks ago).

if it seems centrally located then i'd wonder if the DOJ (CV axles) is going bad on one of them. Have you checked both inner joints for broken boots?

Have you checked your front diff fluid (dipstick, hard to see on the passengers top of the trans, accessible from the engine bay).

A drain and refill of the diff would be in order if you suspect the trans, and i'd want to look at/strain the fluid to see how much metal comes out with it.

I second the suggestion about checking all 4 CV boots!

I had strange steering wheel/front end vibrations and it turned out my driver's side axle was going bad at the inner joint (boot was torn), which can cause weird vibrations and slight binding.

My Subie mechanic says the inner joints don't make noise when they go bad like an outer joint does. As the axle itself or the inner joint wears out, it gets more and more play in it which is transferred as looseness and vibrations. He felt the play by grabbing and shaking the axle when it was up on the lift.

Not complaining too much though, 138K on the original Subaru axle (he confirmed it was) isn't bad!

Brian

The CV boots are good. It's something I check kinda frequently.

I am going to jack the car up tonight and see if there is any play in the joint.

I'm replacing the front struts because they are leaking and making noise. I did the driver's side on the weekend, and once the spring was off the strut, I could compress the strut with one finger.:dead:

I haven't checked the front diff fluid, but I will do that tonight.

Thanks to everyone for all the help/suggestions. I love this place!

In desperation, I took it to the dealership this morning. I know, I know, but I don't have the time to fix it myself, or rely on a mechanic I can't trust.

Passenger side wheel bearing is toast, all the others are on their way. 96,000 miles, and all the wheel bearings are going. :dead:

My 87 GL had 268,000 and was on its third engine before even one wheel bearing had to be replaced.

I think this will be my last Subaru.

And then it gets worse....

Just got a call from the dealership. The wheel bearings on the other three wheels are fine, it's the....

REAR DIFF.

At 96,000 miles?

This is going to be expensive...

FHI < SIA.

My 95 Legacy with over 120,000 had none of these problems. Too bad I wrecked it.

OK, the differential will work, but I'm not sure my existing axles will. I've been told yes, maybe, and no. Does anyone have the spline count for 2002 WRX wagon rear axles and 2002 Impreza Outback Sport rear axles?

If the axles don't work, I'll just sell the WRX LSD, and get the regular 4.111.

Out of all this frustration, there is one positive thing: I'm learning.

• 4 weeks later...

One month later, and not much has changed.

I sold the WRX LSD after I was sent front WRX sedan axles rather than rear WRX wagon axles by a vendor on NASIOC. I just got tired of trying to cobble some used parts together that may or may not be compatible with my car.

I took the car to Wentworth Subaru, as they are two blocks from where I work. They replaced the right rear wheel bearing, and then said the noise was coming from the rear differential. So, I had them replace the rear diferential with a brand new one from SOA. Big $$$$$. I picked the car up yesterday, and the original noise/vibration is still there.:dead:

Took it back to them this afternoon, and I was told to come back Monday, and they would take care of it.

I've paid almost $2000 to have them throw parts at the problem, and nothing has been fixed. Hopefully, this problem will be resolved, as I just bought the car there last November, and I have only put 8,000 miles on it, mainly commuting and short trips on the weekend.