Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The buzzing sound...

When I go to start my Loyale, I turn the key forward but not enough to crank the engine. I notice there is a buzzing sound like motor running or something for about 4 seconds and then it stops. If I turn the key all the way it starts up.

What is that buzzing noise? It sounds like some sort of mechanism engaging or something.

I don't think that's the fuel pump. For one your loyale has a rotary centrifugal pump that is in the rear and is much quieter than the old carb pumps. And for another they don't run for 4 seconds. It's about 1.5 seconds.

Could be a faulty seat belt chime. That's all I can think of at the moment.

GD

I thought the fuel pump was in the rear. This buzzing sounds like it is coming from the dash.

Fuel pump is in the rear. You failed to mention where it's coming from, makes it hard to help.

GD may have your answer - does your seat belt chime when you turn the key on? Where exactly is this noise coming from in the dash?

The fuel pump is in the rear, the Fuel pump relay is under the dash mounted to the Column.

I know on my GL, I can here the fuel pump, and the relay click. The Click under the dash makes it *seem* like the buzzing is from there too, but it isn't it's the pump in the rear. Not 4 seconds, more like 1 or 2.

Mr-Loyale, I really think you're hearing the fuel pump and the relay clicking. Check again and I'll bet you find it's not running 4 seconds either.

I listened closely today to teh sound and it is probably 1-2 seconds. But it sounds like some sort of mechanism moving. I can move the key forward (not starting) and the soudn happens. It sounds like some sort of mechanism that hits a stop block or something. When I turn the key off there is a sound like the mechanism releases and it clicks as if something with a travel was release.

I can turn the key on and it buzzes and off it clicks. It definitely sounds like it is coming from withing the dashboard.

I listened closely today to teh sound and it is probably 1-2 seconds. But it sounds like some sort of mechanism moving. I can move the key forward (not starting) and the soudn happens. It sounds like some sort of mechanism that hits a stop block or something. When I turn the key off there is a sound like the mechanism releases and it clicks as if something with a travel was release.

I can turn the key on and it buzzes and off it clicks. It definitely sounds like it is coming from withing the dashboard.

It is a Mechanism moving, and it is within the dashboard. It is the relay you are hearing *engage* it is physically a heavy duty switch being snapped closed when you turn the key on. It IS something with travel physically moving. That is what relays do.

Don't take offense, but you aren't listening to what we are telling you. It is the Fuel pump relay that makes the *engaging* sound. The accompanying buzz is the fuel pump.

If you want to confirm, remove the lower dash panel. Next unbolt the 3 bolts holding the ECU and let it hang. Mounted to the column, above the ECU are 2 relays. The brown one with 6 wires is the Ignition relay. The other is the Fuel pump relay. Grab the fuel pump relay and then turn the key on. You'll feel the *click* when it happens in the relay. With you're head up in the dashboard, you should also be able to tell that the buzzing is coming from somewhere else(rear of car from Fuel Pump)

Next, disconnect the fuel pump relay and try the same thing. You'll get no buzzing and no click.

It is a Mechanism moving, and it is within the dashboard. It is the relay you are hearing *engage* it is physically a heavy duty switch being snapped closed when you turn the key on. It IS something with travel physically moving. That is what relays do.

Don't take offense, but you aren't listening to what we are telling you. It is the Fuel pump relay that makes the *engaging* sound. The accompanying buzz is the fuel pump.

If you want to confirm, remove the lower dash panel. Next unbolt the 3 bolts holding the ECU and let it hang. Mounted to the column, above the ECU are 2 relays. The brown one with 6 wires is the Ignition relay. The other is the Fuel pump relay. Grab the fuel pump relay and then turn the key on. You'll feel the *click* when it happens in the relay. With you're head up in the dashboard, you should also be able to tell that the buzzing is coming from somewhere else(rear of car from Fuel Pump)

Next, disconnect the fuel pump relay and try the same thing. You'll get no buzzing and no click.

OK. It is the fuel pump and relay. :cool: