Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea81 ?

Hello All, I am loking at an 84 GL wagon on CL, I have had several cars with the EA82 engine but none with the EA81. Was trying to find out if any bad about the EA81, parts easy to get?, I am assuming they are easy to work on. Just in general what to be loking for in that model of car.

Thanks,

Shawn

I've not had any EA82's so I can't compare.

But my EA81 has been a joy to work on.

Really not going to get much simpler unless you bolt a lawnmower engine in. :lol:

As far as parts go. I've had no problems finding anything at parts stores or the JY. :)

If there's a part out there that is hard to get I must have not broken/wore it out yet.

I've not had any EA82's so I can't compare.

But my EA81 has been a joy to work on.

Really not going to get much simpler unless you bolt a lawnmower engine in. :lol:

As far as parts go. I've had no problems finding anything at parts stores or the JY. :)

If there's a part out there that is hard to get I must have not broken/wore it out yet.

Thanks for the info, sounds like you can't go wrong with that engine.:)

it's a great engine and some people prefer them... no timing belts to mess with... and they aren't as prone to overheating and blowing head gaskets...

not as much power as the ea82, but neither of them are race engines or anything... (:

and yeah, they are pretty easy to work on...

--Spiffy

In general I think the EA81 is a more dependable, easier to work on, engine. A bit less power than the EA82, especially the SPFI ones, though. And the oil pumps should apparently be replaced ever 150k or so as a preventative measure. I have never had trouble finding parts here in Colorado, and up in WA, I doubt you will either. If you were back east, I might recommend against it because most of them have dissapeared back there. I've owned four EA81's, and three EA82's.

EA82 just uses a modified casting of the EA81 so it can use overhead cams. EA81 has the same issues as the EA82 with exceptions to the over heating (I believe there is a fault in the EA82 blocks that cause overheating) and timing belt failure. The Ea81 does have a few less horses due to smaller valves and carburetor.

In my experience I have found the EA81 to be a much more reliable engine.