Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rusted Muffler Hanger

Hi Folks-

Just noticed that one of the two hangers holding the rubber muffler mount has given up the ghost and broken away from rust on my 90 Loyale. From the looks of the broken end, there probably isn't a lot of good material left for a weld job - too early to say. Anybody have any good ideas? Thanks.

Bill

Johnson']Is it the part attached to the body? If it is hollow: can you jam a piece of solid metal in there and put the two pieces back together?

It's a solid piece of bent rod that was mounted to the car body. That solid rod holds one end of a rubber hanger. The other end of the rubber hanger supports a rod that's welded to the muffler. It's the car body piece of the hanger that broke off.

At some point, a decision has to be made to go with what you can, rather than what is "nice", or "original".

Any auto parts store will sell you a universal muffler hanger. The ones I like are a rubber strap type thing about 8" long, holes in the rubber strap, and a steel "J" riveted on the end. The J end gets clamped to the pipe with a muffler clamp, and you bolt the strap to the car where the easiest hole lines up. Sometimes you can find an existing hole, sometimes you make a hole (for a nut/bolt/washers), sometimes you ram a lag bolt in with an impact gun. I like to support things fore, and aft of the muffler, the muffler being the heaviest part of the tail pipe assembly. And of course, the more rubber strap (unsupported) you use to hang the assembly, the more movement is allowed.

Don't be a wuss. You are obviously a novice in the mechanical department but this is definately something that you CAN do. I think you should try it yourself. If all else fails, take it to the guy. You really can't do any damage and even if you fail, it will be cheap and fixable. Have faith in yourself and you'll like the feeling of having done it yourself.

Don't be a wuss. You are obviously a novice in the mechanical department but this is definately something that you CAN do. I think you should try it yourself. If all else fails, take it to the guy. You really can't do any damage and even if you fail, it will be cheap and fixable. Have faith in yourself and you'll like the feeling of having done it yourself.
Ahole-

When I first read this post, I was inclined to get pissed off. I got over that. I note that you're a youth of 31 with a few posts under your belt. I'm a 54 year old guy who has owned and maintained my 90 Loyale for years. My wife's 95 is doing well too. Combined mileage of about 400K at this point. Did I mention my 33 year old motorcycle that I just returned from a 3K mile ride on? I think you're encouraging me to do my own work. Thanks for the advice, but take a deep breath before you post next time. There are a few things I don't mess with - welding and exhaust work are on that list.

I didn't mean to anger you.:confused: Although I'm only 31, I am no noob to car and motorcycle wrenching. My bike is 38 years old and I also work on that. I've also owned 4 cars that were older than me and I worked on those. To me, exhaust is pretty easy and since I thought you were afraid to do it, I was trying to prod you into doing it yourself. I think people should know how to do mechanical things - something that is disappearing in our society.

Fixed. My muffler shop drilled a hole in the spare parts compartment of the back of the wagon, mounted a new hangar bracket where there was still some good metal, and I'm back in business. Should get me and my 18 year old daughter to Pittsburgh to start college in a couple weeks. $20. Sure, coulda' made that repair myself after futzing around the hardware store for some...hardware...and crawling around underneath and lining stuff up and....but in this case, I'm glad I handed the job off. Thanks for everyone's input - including yours Ahole. :-)

HEY! You got it looked after................

I am partial to supporting the muffler fore, and aft, but at least that's over with.

All this is just symptomatic of my 90 finally starting it's slow rust death spiral. I've hot oiled (coated it) a number of times over the years but you can stave off the cancer only so long. There's no doubt that the body will go before the fine little engine ever will. BTW, my annual bike ride out to MN takes me across the Shield - Ottawa, North Bay, Sudbury.