Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Signal noise won't shut off!!!

Ok, so as per my previous post, I had issues with my headlights that I thought was connected to this ticking noise. Well it turns out that both my low beams lights were actually burnt out (pretty easy to replace), but that this ticking noise is another independent problem.

So whenever the car is running sporadically the directional ticking noise will come and go. It sounds like there is a short somewhere. If I hit the steering wheel the noise will disappear for 30 seconds or so and then come back. I hate electrical issues and don;t know where to start. The sound is soo annoying, any thoughts?

BTW this soobie is a 2001 Outback Wagon, automatic with 110k on it.

If you guys are wondering why I am posting all of a sudden it is b/c both my parents have gone on vacation and each of them have dropped off their respective subaru to me to fix. Be on the look out next week for posts on the 96 legacy wagon, I can't get rid of that damn P0304 code on that one, but that's for another time:)

Are any of your flashers on at the same time?

The flasher on these cars are solid state, with all the micro mystery black boxes and everything. Its possible that the flasher itself is bad. Thats where i would start.

nipper

The directionals and signals work fine, its just that the ticking noise wont go away afer it is disengaged, but if I hold down the hazard switch in b/t the on and off position the noise stops.

The directionals and signals work fine, its just that the ticking noise wont go away afer it is disengaged, but if I hold down the hazard switch in b/t the on and off position the noise stops.

It sounds like there is a voltage leak ib the flasher itself. I would replace it and see what happens