Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 Loyale AT

Hi everyone,new member here.I'm planning on buying a 91 Loyale.It's a 2 wd sedan with 90k on it.The car has been approx.6 months.The tranny went out and was towed to it's resting spot. I jumped the battery and it fired right up.Putting the car into reverse it will move without any noise,but will not move in the forward gears (still no noise).I didn't have much space , but it seemed to rev a little( didn't check real well )The tranny didn't make any prior noise that I'm told but started acting "stupid" and then wouldn't go. I was planning on putting in a used tranny ( have one available ), figured I would ask for advice,suggestions or even speculation. Is this an easy job relatively speaking? I saw the tranny removal in the other forum,but I didn't know if there would be much difference in just changing one out. All told will be about a $1500 car when done.

Welcome to the board, here we go. Welcome to the Obcession. The 3 AT isnt a great tranny and they have a tendency of going out. Private Message silverhelme he has some tricks to maybe get yours moveing. Something about band adjustment. I just picked up a 93 loyale with a blown tranny as well, but i do have 1st gear. People say these arent worth saveing and if your going to keep the car for a while you should swap it to 5 speed. You will notice a difference with the response of the engine with a stick. Here are some pictures of my wagons. The green one is the one i just got and my white one is my daily driver. I paid 400 for the white one and the aqua one was free. How much did you pay for yours and good luck. This is a great place to get info, find parts, and make friends.

Welcome

Ben

IMG_1567_2.JPG

IMG_17101.JPG

And no the aqua one isnt a better one, be nice to guido

I am a life-long subie lover and have owned at least 6 DIFFERENT subies,, so nobody will ever say I am not.

BUT,

This is only a 2wd car?!!!! with the problems that are apparent (blown tranny), age, and the known problems of older subies, and the replacement tranny you gonna get and install, it just isn't worth it, (unless it was AWD or 4WD)..

Their are plenty of other 2wd cars that come from other automakers for the same price that will work better for you (and the wife).

Subies are GREAT cars and worth a lot of trouble, but in my opinion 2wd is the deal breaker and not worth it.. get another vehicle, even another subie, but don't drop 800 for a known busted one, and then have all the trouble to make it right.

Hell, my 84 GL wagon, I have done 5 axles, changed transmissions, diagnosed many distributor issues, etc, BUT, at least it is 4wd!!!..

sorry to be down, I love subies, but you have to be realistic sometimes.. I don't want to burst your bubble, but don't flame me ;)

I *think* a car that does not "go" when you turn the key is almost as useless as a screen door on a submarine. With that firmly in mind is how I buy non-operational vehicles (willing to pay a small premium over scrap price).

Now, how much something is worth to you is something only you can determine, but may I suggest that maybe, there may be a bit better deal "out there" for you, don't act in haste, look around, and come back to this "deal" better informed, one way, or the other.

Tough crowd.

No doubt a Legacy would be a better car, but I personally prefer my Loyale's styling and smaller size. It can get to places out on the ranch that would scratch up a larger car. I also wanted a 5 speed when I bought it, but a reoccurring health issue recently reminded me why I have to have an AT. Did I mention I really like my Loyale? :grin:

So Whoop, I'm on your side. The wife needs an AT, you already have one, why not keep another oldie on the road?

The best advice I can give on the swap is to rent a proper transmission jack. It will make the job so much easier. Worth it's weight in gold.

Once you disconnect the torque converter from the flexplate and start bringing the tranny down, make sure you keep the front of the tranny higher (this is where a proper jack helps). Same when going back together with it. This will keep the tc from slipping and dumping fluid all over the place.

Also, make sure you have the tc all the way back in place on the new tranny before going back together. There are several notches that need to align before it seats. Just keep turning the tc as you lightly push it on the tranny and you'll eventually hear it clunk home.

Once you get the tranny back in place, if it doesn't want to seat with the engine, don't force it. Make sure the tc isn't hitting the flexplate early. If it is, you didn't get the tc seated all the way on the tranny.

That's about all of the tricky points. The rest is just nuts and bolts, wires and hoses. Oh, and do take the pitching rod off so you don't bend it and the tranny will drop down at the right angle for R&R.

Good luck!