Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So after way too much travel for work out of the country next week I will be putting in my outback lift/wheels & tires on my 91 LS wagon. :banana:

So in regards to calibrating my speedo I have seen this Kit does mentioned before for correcting the speedo.

Do 91 Legacy's have electronic speedos?

Any write ups on installing this or other correction kits?

91 legs are cable driven speedo, no electronics.

Thanks!

So I was able to correct the Speedo in my Jeep CJ years ago when I put on 35 inch tires and lifted it with different speedo sprockets in the tranny.

Is there anything like this for a roo?

There are two gears that drive the speedo cable. One gear is called the Speedometer Drive Gear. the other Gear is called the "Speedometer Driven Gear". I had a scan of the parts breakdown somewhere. I also have pics that will load a link to when i get home, pics of the actual teardown showing the gears.

There are two gears that drive the speedo cable. One gear is called the Speedometer Drive Gear. the other Gear is called the "Speedometer Driven Gear". I had a scan of the parts breakdown somewhere. I also have pics that will load a link to when i get home, pics of the actual teardown showing the gears.

Great, thanks for the help on this.

If it is easier you can just email it to me at r.eddy@yahoo.com or pm me.

for 95 - 99 legacy / outbacks i think youcan swap the TCU to get the right sped after you put on outback tires. i have'nt tried it yet but the TCU is the brain for the trans so i think it also computes the speed. this and the wheels are the only parts that are different between the outback and the GT

any one ever tried this?? any chance this is right?

for 95 - 99 legacy / outbacks i think youcan swap the TCU to get the right sped after you put on outback tires. i have'nt tried it yet but the TCU is the brain for the trans so i think it also computes the speed. this and the wheels are the only parts that are different between the outback and the GT

any one ever tried this?? any chance this is right?

Mine is a 5spd manual.

I lifted my 95 legacy and put 27.5 inch all terrains on it, speedo was way off so to get some gearing back and a more accurate speedo I swapped out my 4.11 auto and rear diff and swapped in a outback 4.44 auto and rear diff, the speedo reads correct now, I didn't change the tcu I think the outback has a different speedo gear in the transmission, I just got a 97 impreza and am going to lift it and if I keep the 3.9 transmission I'm gonna swap in a outback speedo gear from the 4.11 manual and see if that will fix it, I don't think its the tcu that controls it

I lifted my 95 legacy and put 27.5 inch all terrains on it, speedo was way off so to get some gearing back and a more accurate speedo I swapped out my 4.11 auto and rear diff and swapped in a outback 4.44 auto and rear diff, the speedo reads correct now, I didn't change the tcu I think the outback has a different speedo gear in the transmission, I just got a 97 impreza and am going to lift it and if I keep the 3.9 transmission I'm gonna swap in a outback speedo gear from the 4.11 manual and see if that will fix it, I don't think its the tcu that controls it

thats a good point, i had forgotten about the speedo drive gear. and that might make sense when comparing a legacy L to an outback of the same year since the trans are different.

but a 97 GT has legacy size tires and a 97 outback has larger tires, the trans are the same, identical. the only difference is the TCU.

I might evenlty do a dual range swap but remember I ahve a manual so I don't have a TCU.