Ultimate Subaru Message Board

just replaced timing belt on 1999 2.5 DOHC. as expected the valve springs rotated the drivers side bank out of position but never at the same time. I carefully put them back 1 at a time. intake clockwise exhaust counter. double checked the tooth counts. when started it goes about 20 seconds and sputters and dies. can they bend the valves just with the spring pressure? anything else I messed up?

stuck a compression tester on getting 30 on the L bank on each cylinder with a hand cranked cycle. got 45 on #1. not sure I should do a proper compression test but I suppose the damage is done if it has been. cranking it again won't do more.

Your timing belt is off. If your car was running fine before, it's the belt. If you had the timing marks aligned correctly PRIOR to removing the belt, the pistons are all down in the cylinders and well clear of any opening valve. I don't believe that even if you had them wrong, that the valves would get damaged without the engine running, if they collided by the snapping cam. ("Run on" sentence...sorry).

Did you align with the right marks? Verify you used the correct markings on the crank and cam pulleys.

Todd

I've checked the procedure over and over, I keep counting the teeth to make sure it's right, make sure I start at TDC for #1 with a compression tester then take the pully off and advance to the mark on the tab behind the gear which lined up all of the others :confused: apart from the diagram having the tooth count pictures backwards so the one that has 54.5 showes groove to groove instead of groove to peak and the the opposite for 51 I can't find anything wrong with what I did appart from realigning things when they moved that I already described in the original post.

I've checked the procedure over and over, I keep counting the teeth to make sure it's right, make sure I start at TDC for #1 with a compression tester then take the pully off and advance to the mark on the tab behind the gear which lined up all of the others :confused: apart from the diagram having the tooth count pictures backwards so the one that has 54.5 showes groove to groove instead of groove to peak and the the opposite for 51 I can't find anything wrong with what I did appart from realigning things when they moved that I already described in the original post.

ok, i'm not an expert, but the last time some one talked about the right timing marks and TDC, after about 669 posts, he finally figured out that he used the wrong marks on the cam sprockets. it's not the ARROWS, it's the tiny little cut line on the edge of the sprocket, usually has some paint daubs asociated with it. double check the timing marks.

and if that is what you used, i apologize for suggesting you got it wrong.

but double check all 5 timing marks.

sorry spent the afternoon in the ER with a kidney stone. realigned the marks once more this morning before I was interupted but haven't had the chance to put everything back together. the crank sprocket, the geared thing that drives the timing belt from the shaft and has the 6 things sticking out around the back of it 1 of which has the timing mark for the timing belt, yes that's the one I used. I know :horse: I feel like someone who's never changed a timing belt, just never done a 2.5 DOHC so there are more things to line up and teeth to count. didn't move any of the cams unless they can strip under the nuts that hold them and turn. OBDII doesn't show any codes