Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 gl10 lowering??

Start thinking in terms of this:

There is NO (read VERY little) aftermarket for your car. There isn't any money in it as the people looking for aftermarket parts are few and most owners of this vintage are not willing to spend the money. These (Loyale's and older) are cheap, (mostly) reliable transportion with an emphasis on 4WD and fuel ecomony. The EA82 Turbo was, for most intents and purposes, the first mass market turbo charged Subaru. As such they aren't much more than an experiment and marketing tool used at a time when Subaru's sales in the US were still pretty slim and they made a lot of attempts to target fringe buyers. Most of the stuff that's out there is either old stock from the 80's, or it's factory parts from things like the RX's that can be adapted for other body styles.

Now - with that said, on to your specific question.

Lowering the EA82's (as with most cars) isn't so much a factor of buying aftermarket parts as it is finding what parts will fit from other makes and models. And in this case it's not just the springs but also the struts themselves as the locations of the spring perches is mostly what changes the ride height.

For the front, strut's and springs for an RX will take you down a bit.

For the rear people have been using Mazda Miata stuff.

Do some searches on those two and you should find all the threads and information you need.

GD

do they make lowering springs for an 87 gl10? or do u just have to cut the stock? and if they do still have aftermarket ones does anybody know where i can find them?

Let me advise you against cutting the springs. If you do that, you will open up a whole new can of worms. I don't know how doing that would affect the ride quality, but on most cars it adversely affects handling. Now IIRC, someone had posted something about Eibach making springs that will fit. I know that the cheap eBay coilovers for a WRX will work. There are a few members her on the Forum that have installed them with little to no problems. You may have to do a search for the posts though.

Patrick

OP - you're new here, so I'll be gentle.

The search function works reasonably well. For example, I searched the word 'lower' in the Old school forum.. An ambiguous search at best.

However, right on the first page, it yielded some quite handy results

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31804&highlight=lower

This same search process will apply for your turbo questions as well.. I strongly suggest taking some time (without actually posting) and familiarizing yourself with the layout of the site. This will give you a bit of insight into the community in the process.

One other suggestion that may save you some trouble in the future. You appear to be an english speaking person with a penchant for internet laziness (wut). As we are something of an international community, many of our members do not speak lazy american, however their English is quite good.

It does seem a shame that many of our members from Honduras, Slovakia, Israel and other far reaches of the globe that speak English as a second or third language have a far superior grasp of the English language when compared to many of us for whom it is the only language.

There is a ton of information here for those with the wherewithal to look for it. There are friends to be made as well.. especially if you are in one of the subaru-rich areas.

Most importantly, Take everything GD says about the EA82T with a grain of salt. I firmly believe an EA82T killed his parents or something.

use the FWD XT struts. they dont extend as far, but you can use your same springs. you will have the same spring rate but lower ride height. this way you don't compromise your handling by chopping your springs.

just order struts for a fwd xt and you are good to go.